Charlotte Myers looks through her pair of 3D glasses during a family art program at the Kennedy Mueseum at The Ridges. On select Sundays families can come and create art that correlates with the art in the existing galleries.

Monthly family program at Kennedy Museum offers creative freedom, art education

A monthly art program at the Kennedy Museum of Art offers a creative outlet for both children and their parents, while teaching them a little about artistic techniques.

On the second Sunday of each month, the Kennedy Museum opens its doors to children and their parents, presenting them with the tools they need to create similar art to what is displayed in the galleries.

Danette Pratt, leader of the program, said the events usually draw in a good crowd depending on the weather and what else is happening in the area that day.

“We have ranges of kids from very small, up to maybe 13 or 14 (years old),” Pratt said. “They’re accompanied by parents, and they have a project sheet to help them work through the project together.”

She said she wants the program to be more than a typical project.

"We want it to be kind of challenging and to make them think about it,” she said. "We don’t want to always have the same thing ...and that’s why it’s kind of fun to feature the artist (in the gallery) and try to build a project on something within the exhibit.”

Robert Briscoe, an associate professor of philosophy, brought his three children to the program for the first time on Sunday. He said he decided to bring them after hearing about this month’s 3D component because his daughter Ludi has an interest in it.

Ludi, 8, said she started drawing as young as 2 and wants to be an artist when she grows up. Her favorite things to draw are cats, foxes and architecture.

Her four-year-old brother Eamon said he also wants to be an artist.

“Eamon likes abstract, even though he really doesn’t know what it is,” Ludi said.

Gaura Rader, a graduate student studying social psychology, has been bringing his daughter Keli, 5, to the art programs since last year.

“The projects are always really interesting,” Rader said. “They’re fun for kids but it’s usually something beyond your typical kid craft. It’s just really nicely done.”

Renee Ripple and her daughters Evelyn, 9, and Estelle, 6, are also regulars at the program.

”Evelyn is very into art, but very anti-art lessons, so this is our monthly art time besides school,” Renee said. “She likes the creative freedom, so this outlet is good for that because it can be as challenging as you want it to be, or it can be pretty simple.”

Evelyn said her favorite art activities are drawing and pottery, which she is learning at school, but she has done so many different art projects at the Kennedy Museum she couldn’t pick one favorite.

Jesus Sanchez, a sophomore studying studio art, works at the Kennedy Museum and helps out with the art program. This week was his first time attending the event, and he spent his time there giving directions and tips to the participating children and their parents.

He said exposing people to art at a young age is important and will help them later in their lives.

"Everyone needs to be creative because I think in our world, you have to have some aspect of creativity and some vision you want to put out into the world,” Sanchez said. “So I think things like this, even though it’s so simple, will have a big impact on kids later on.”

@adeichelberger

ae595714@ohio.edu