Rylie Brown

Back to Bobcat Basics: New York Fashion Week reveals more than just wearable artwork

The runways, the big-time brands and the glamor, New York Fashion Week always turns heads and creates the image of unrealistic clothing options. Let’s face it, few of us have the money to buy anything from "Yeezy," Kanye West’s collection, or the fashion sense to drape ourselves in leopard print from Norma Kamali. Typically I would agree that most of the looks that are on the runway are too outrageous, but this year New York Fashion Week impressed me. Finally, a few collections for spring 2017 are something that I could see myself wearing.

Pastel pinks, crisp white dresses and a pair of high-waisted patterned shorts create looks that I can relate to in Adam Selman’s spring collection. According to a New York Times article, Selman, a Texas native, has designed clothes for celebrities such as Lady Gaga and Rihanna, making clothes that “were clever and tough, yet feminine and wearable and largely affordable.” Selma’s designs are as if whimsical met punk rock. Particularly, I love the pastel, slightly ruffled blouse underneath a white leather jacket as well as the white sundress paired with a wedge heel and distressed cardigan. Selman sure did sell me on this one.

New York’s own Brock Collection adorned itself with florals, button down dresses and a whole lot of ruffles. I'm not a stripes or floral girl, but the collection has two looks that offer a more subtle approach to these otherwise forbidden patterns of mine. 

The first dress I like is a below the knee, chiffon, floral dress that cinches in all of the right places. The cream colored backdrop to sheer red and pink floral tones gives spring the perfect compliment while a belt closes in right below the bust to give off the perfect shape. Similar to this dress is a more professional, buttoned down, vertical stripe option complete with a belt. The deep-cut neckline offers the perfect amount of scandal that a normal person can get away with while still honing the job-interview-ready vibe.

A California inspired collection from designer Rebecca Minkoff is also list of favorites from fashion week. Vogue described Minkoff’s collection as “vintage-inflected” with a number of “day-to-night pieces and seasonless staples.” My ideal clothing piece would be versatile enough to last into the night and conform to all of the seasons, so needless to say this collection speaks to me on a personal level. 

The vintage, flowy feel to the collection’s adorable white dresses scream spring but can easily be transitioned to summer and fall looks, especially if they are paired with a scarf and boot. I also love the embroidered denim romper that ties at the waist with an oversized knot, which can also be dressed up with a cardigan and boots to match damp and chilly fall weather. Minkoff’s spring 2017 collection only offers seven looks, but I think quality over quantity is achieved here.

As someone who often sees runway looks and turns away unenthused, I did enjoy a few of this year’s collections. Selman, Brock and Minkoff generated wearable clothes that can capture all audiences, not just the artistically elite or their fellow designers, and for that I am grateful.

Rylie Brown is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information. What is your favorite piece of clothing? Tweet her @RylieMarieBrown.