Women's golf player Hailey Hrynewich of Muskegon, Michigan, poses for a portrait. (File)

Women’s Golf: After a tough first day, the team was able to swing their way into the top 10

College football wasn’t the only collegiate sport that kicked off its season this past weekend. The Ohio women's golf team came in eighth place at the Redbird Invitational to start off their season.

The event was hosted by Illinois State University at the Weibring Golf Club.

Early Sunday morning, the team teed off to begin its season with the Redbird Invitational. The Bobcats rounded out the first day in twelfth place. They shot a 308, collectively, in the first round and a 317 in the second round for an overall score of 625, ending the day +9.

Monday they stepped up their game and shot lower, coming in eighth, three places behind the team's fifth place finish at the tournament last year. The Bobcats ended the tournament with a score of 925 (+61). Boston College came in first place with a score of 890 (+26) to win.

Senior Hailey Hryewich came out swinging as she tied NIU’s Brielle Ward for fourth place. Hryewich broke her all-time low score of 67 as she shot a 66 at the invitational on Monday. She led the team with an overall score of 152 (+8) on Sunday, leaving her in 21st place to start out. She continued to lead the team on Monday with a third round score of 66 for an overall score of 218 (+2) for the tournament.

Sophomore Nicole Smiley who shot a combined total of 233 (+17) during the duration of the long weekend tied in 33rd place.

Following Smiley to claim the third place spot on the Bobcats team was sophomore Emily Hughes who tied for 46th place with a score of 237 (+21).

Junior Lily Pendy finished 51st with a score of 239 (+23) followed by freshman Marissa Balish and sophomore Chloe McKenzie who tied for 71st place both with a score of 245 (+29).

The team will be teeing off for their second tournament of the season at the Cardinal Classic beginning Sept. 19 in Yorktown, Indiana.

@_jjohnston

jj940914@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of the photo caption misspelled Hailey Hrynewich's name. The photo caption has been updated to show the most accurate information.