Women's golf player Hailey Hrynewich of Muskegon, Michigan, poses for a portrait. (File)

Women's golf: Ohio lands in eighth place again

Hailey Hrynewich slid down the board from third place at the team's last invitational to 11th place this weekend at the Mary Fossum Invitational in East Lansing, Michigan.

Hrynewich, a senior, led the Bobcats once again in their third tournament of the season. 

She shot a 72 (par) for the first round, a 76 (+4) for the second round and a 75 in the third round on Sunday to leave her with a grand total of 223 (+7).

Ohio barely swung their way into the top 10 by grabbing the eighth place spot overall in the tournament. The team shot its first two rounds on Saturday to start the tournament with a score of 624 (+48). On Sunday, the Bobcats rounded out the end of the tournament by shooting a 301 (+13) for the third round, leaving them in eighth place with a total score of 925 (+61).

Miami came in first place by a landslide with a total score of 860 (-4), followed by Princeton and Indiana.

Sneaking into the second place spot behind Hrynewich on the Bobcats’ team was freshman Marissa Balish. She shot a 75 (+3) for her first round, but added five strokes for the next round, shooting an 80 (+8). She then ended the tournament in the third round with a 77 (+5), giving her a personal score of 232 (+16). Balish's score left her tied with Western Michigan's Jasmine Chee for 33rd.

Following Balish for the third place spot for Ohio was junior Lily Pendy. She shot a total score of 233 (+17), just one point more than Balish and had a three-way tie for 35th place with Princeton's Tiana Lau and Michigan State's Sybil Robinson.

Rounding out the last two spots on the Bobcats’ team were sophomores Emily Hughes and Nicole Smiley. Coming in fourth for the Bobcats, Emily Hughes had a three-way tie for 45th place with a score of 237 (+21). Smiley rounded out the fifth place spot on the team with a total score of 247 (+31) and had a four-way tie for 63rd place.

Ohio will be teeing off again next weekend for its fourth tournament of the season in Kalamazoo, Michigan for the Kalamazoo Classic.

@thebestjess_21

jj940914@ohio.edu