Ohio University President Roderick McDavis announces his retirement on Thursday, March 10, 2016, in Walter Hall Rotunda. McDavis will remain president until the end of his contract on June 30, 2017. (ALEX DRIEHAUS | FILE)

OU President Roderick McDavis earns highest salary of Ohio MAC schools

This is the third in a weekly series comparing Ohio University to the other five Mid-American Conference universities in Ohio.

Despite receiving the third highest salary at Ohio University, President Roderick McDavis earns the highest salary of the six Mid-American Conference universities in Ohio.

McDavis’ 2016-17 salary is $500,000, which has nearly doubled during his 12 years as president.

“That’s a lot of money,” Nina Zingale, a sophomore studying early childhood education, said.

The six MAC universities in Ohio include OU, Miami University, Bowling Green State University, the University of Toledo, Kent State University and the University of Akron.

McDavis, the second alumnus and the first black president of OU, began his term during the 2004-05 academic year. Back then his salary was $275,000.

In March, McDavis announced he would step down as president when his contract expires June 30, 2017.

Despite Zingale’s surprise at how much McDavis makes, she was not bothered by the half-a-million dollar figure.

“As long as it isn’t negatively impacting me,” Zingale said.

Jake Angelo echoed Zingale’s statement.

“It doesn’t really bother me as long as he’s doing a good job,” Angelo, a sophomore studying engineering, technology and management, said. “Pay him as much as you want as long as my tuition isn’t really going up.”

In total, McDavis and his wife, Deborah, have given $131,920 back to the university, according to OU Spokesperson Dan Pittman.

Before starting his presidency at OU, McDavis worked as a professor, dean and administrator at Virginia Commonwealth University and the University of Florida.

OU men’s basketball coach Saul Phillips and football coach Frank Solich claim the top two spots as the university highest-paid employees for the 2016-17 academic year.

Miami President Greg Crawford, who started in July, is right behind McDavis with a salary of $495,000.

Before becoming Miami's president, Crawford worked at the University of Notre Dame as a professor, associate provost and vice president.

Kent State's President Beverly Warren, who made $450,000 last year, donated her $9,000 raise to scholarships for the university during the 2015-16 academic year. She also donated $25,000 on the university's "Giving Tuesday" in 2015.

Toledo President Sharon Gaber, who made $450,000 last year, donated more than $21,000 in gifts and pledges back to the university during the 2015-16 academic year.

Cody Pomeroy, a sophomore studying integrated media, said McDavis’ salary is a bit high.

“I’m not sure what would be setting him apart from other people that he’d be making that much,” Pomeroy said.

Out of the six schools, The University of Akron's Interim President Matthew Wilson has the lowest salary at $370,000. His term started in July.

When compared to the six schools, McDavis has been in the position of president for the longest time, with the 2016-17 academic year being his 12th and final as OU president.

Bowling Green President Mary Ellen Mazey has been in her role the second longest — since 2011 — and she earns the second lowest salary.

She has donated more than $170,000 back to the university.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu