The Athena Cinema on September 1, 2015. (LIZ MOUGHON | FOR THE POST)

Discussion and screening of film about undocumented Americans to be held at The Athena

In 2011, Jose Antonio Vargas, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist put himself in the spotlight, admitting to being an undocumented American through a first-person story in The New York Times Magazine.

On Wednesday at 5 p.m. at the Athena Cinema, the LGBT Center, along with multiple other partners such as Alden Library, is hosting a screening of the film Documented, which tells Vargas’ story, as well as an open discussion afterwards.

Documented is a film written by 35-year-old Vargas that follows his journey as a child leaving the Philippines to an adult living in the U.S. as an activist and journalist and reconnecting with his mother, whom he has not had contact with in 20 years, according to the description of the event page. Before he outed himself, Vargas had won a Pulitzer Prize while reporting at The Washington Post.

Vargas — the founder and CEO of Define American, a non-profit media and culture organization that seeks to elevate the conversation around immigration and citizenship in America — was also involved in the writing for other similar films such as, White People and The Other City. He has yet to become an American citizen, and despite outing himself over five years ago, has not been deported.

The film was chosen in an attempt to engage students with a prominent topic in the presidential election in a way that differs from the usual panels and speakers, delfin bautista, the director of the LGBT center said.

It’s important for community members to get involved in a discussion on immigration, especially with this upcoming election and the effect it has on international students Alena Klimas, vice president of OU’s International Student Union said.

“I really like this film and the idea behind it because it sort of builds bridges,” Klimas, a senior studying political science and global studies war and peace said, “The more you connect with people and the more you know them, the less you want to build walls.”

The number of people who come out to the event is not a concern, bautista, who uses they/them pronouns and the lowercase spelling of their name, said, but the discussion after the film as well as sparking conversations later on are important.

The event is free to not only students but any Athens residents as well, and if this event goes well, the LGBT Center plans on hosting more similar to it.

“My hope and takeaway for the film is for people to leave with — this is an experience. This is not the experience for all immigrants. This is a story,” bautista said.

@LindseyGLukacs

ll915915@ohio.edu