Sarah Vaughn

Let's Talk Life: Take time off from the gym to destress in other ways

If you need to take a week off, then so be it. 

Working out is great, but life happens and sometimes getting to the gym becomes increasingly complicated. That’s okay! You can give yourself a break. In fact, maybe mark an “off week” in your calendar for a week you know you will already be super busy.

The gym is meant to be used as an outlet for stress and a place for personal improvement. When the gym turns into a place that causes more stress, it becomes part of the problem. Of course, when you get into the habit of always going to the gym at a certain time each day, you feel like you are failing the one day you mess that up. That just cannot be your mindset. 

You are rewarding your body by giving it a break, and when you get back into the swing of things you will be back and better than ever. Your body will be more ready than ever to run that extra mile — both literally and figuratively.

Of course, you still need an outlet for stress on the days you decide to not make the trek to the gym, so here are a few ideas on what to do instead.

Paint a canvas

Painting has very therapeutic effects. Pour a cup of tea, turn on some calming music and paint away. At the end of this calming exercise, you'll have a cool decoration for a room in your house or dorm.

Have a dance party

For those of us that have a hard time sitting still, sometimes moving as much as we can is the best way to relieve stress. While you may not have time to stop at the gym, there's always time to blast some loud music and move about wildly — i.e dance. Invite over some friends to help you dance away your worries.

Take an extra-long nap

Sometimes the best way to rid ourselves of stress and exhaustion is as easy as taking a 20 to 30 minute nap. When you wake up, you will feel refreshed and revitalized and ready to take on whatever challenges the rest of the day has to throw your way. 

Finish your Netflix show

It isn't healthy to binge watch television every day, but some exceptions are clearly excusable. After spending ridiculous amounts of time studying for midterms, give your brain a break. The ninth season of The Office isn't going to watch itself.

Do your homework

As boring as it may sound, if your homework is the thing stressing you out, do it. Eliminating your stressor at the source is key to helping yourself feel relaxed.

Treat yourself to takeout

Treat yo' self. Eating out everyday of the week is not the healthiest (or most cost-effective) habit you could form, but there is nothing wrong with digging into a giant burrito from Chipotle every now and then. 

Whatever you do, know that missing a day or two or even three at the gym isn’t the worst thing that has happened to you. You have not messed everything up, and you are not a failure. You will be okay, and the sun will still rise tomorrow. Just be sure to get back to the gym when you are ready to do so. Don’t make the gym a chore you suffer through, and if it is to that point already, give yourself a break. 

Sarah Vaughn is a junior studying education at Ohio University. What do you do to help destress? Tweet your answers to Sarah using her Twitter handle @_suraaahhh.