Rylie Brown

Back to Bobcat Basics: Fashion icons never fade

As Homecoming Week approaches, what better way to celebrate fashion than by recognizing some of the iconic trendsetters from past years? Throughout the decades, we've seen fashion trends come around (and leave), but these iconic influences are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Jackie Kennedy Onassis - '60s

The first lady’s sophisticated and confident style permeated through American culture in the '60s. Kennedy effortlessly flaunted tailored dresses, pearls and large framed sunglasses, not to mention the famous pill-box hat. Today, we can still see traces of her style in neck scarves and big sunglasses.

Debbie Harry - '70s

The lead singer of Blondie helped to lead the 1970s into a punk revolution with her eccentric fashion choices, platinum blonde hair and feminist flair. Stepping away from the cookie cutter Farrah Fawcett trend, Harry created her own brand with her short, wispy haircut and edgy clothes.

Madonna - '80s

Catapulting off of Harry’s style, Madonna changed the game. Guest of a Guest called her style “messy-chic” because of her ripped denim, layered lace, large symbolic jewelry and her blonde perm. Madonna didn't care about fitting in with the norm, and I appreciate that. Madonna still rocks what she wants and even helped her daughter launch an edgy clothing line.

Kurt Cobain - '90s

When I think of the '90s, I think of Nirvana, teen angst and baggy clothes. Girl or guy, you've probably channeled your inner Cobain if you have ever rolled out of bed and threw on a pair of tattered jeans and an oversized flannel without even thinking about touching a hairbrush. Twenty years later, we are still inspired by punk style.

Michelle Obama - present

Regardless of political affiliation, just admit that our current first lady can rock a dress and a set of bangs. I will forever be in awe of her dress choices and the fact that she looks good with literally every hairstyle. Ever since she stunned crowds in her dress on inauguration night in 2008, I have not been bored with her sense of style.

It’s hard to choose one person to define a decade, but these celebrities surely capture the essence of style that each year brought us.

Rylie Brown is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information. Who is your favorite trend setter? Tweet her @RylieMarieBrown.