The LGBT Center Logo.

Query a Queer: Why is LGBT History Month important?

Q: Why is LGBT History Month important?

A: The first point to be made about the importance of LGBT History Month is the reason behind months dedicated to marginalized groups: to make sure these groups feel the validation they deserve and the troubles that they have gone through, and still are going through, are being taken seriously and to raise awareness in order to combat such troubles to make a more inclusive world.

LGBT history has, for the most part, been erased in education, and October is for shedding light on the contributions of LGBT-identified individuals, as well as mourning the hardships in a respectful manner that educates, celebrates and advocates for the community throughout history.

National Coming Out day is Oct. 11, and this day is very powerful and important to so many individuals who have already been through their coming out journey, who are still going through their journey, and those who are still figuring themselves out. If someone decides to share their coming out story with you, listen to them (some can be very hard to relive) and tell them you are proud of them and you support who they are.

Q: How do I become a better Ally for members of the LGBT community?

A: The first step to becoming a better accomplice would be first to make the cognizant decision that you are going to be an accomplice in all aspects of your life and you will not "turn it off" in times of difficulty — especially when this is when the queer community needs accomplices the most. After that, be sure to always listen to someone when they are sharing their experience with you — validate their experience and ask how you can help.

Sometimes all someone needs is for someone to let them know that they are being heard. Being a better accomplice takes a lot of "you" time that you have to take the time and effort toward. That includes (but is not limited to) attending SafeZones and other similar presentations and lectures that inform you of issues the LGBT community faces, as well as inclusive language, and give you the opportunity to ask questions in a safe environment and learn from them.

Making day-to-day adjustments (like language) seem very trivial, but it can make a huge impact on someone, and that is the point of being an accomplice. Being a better accomplice is knowing that you don't have all the answers and that mistakes are going to be made, but making the effort to continue your progress and learn everyday.

Cassidy Paul (she, her, hers) is the Education Coordinator at the LGBT Center as well as Women’s Affairs Commissioner for Student Senate.

Have questions? We have answers! Send your queries, quandaries, and questions: via email to lgbt@ohio.edu and/or oulgbtcenter@gmail.com and/or therainbowroomou@gmail.com; via Tumblr (oulgbtcenter); via Twitter to @oulgbtcenter with hashtag #qaqueer; or post/message to Facebook (oulgbtcenter). Questions may also be explored on our weekly radio show, the Rainbow Room, on ACRN.com.