Sophia Cristofoli plays defense during a game against Ball State at Pruitt Field on Sunday, September 25, 2016. Ohio beat Ball State 3-2 in overtime. (ALIE SKOWRONSKI | FOR THE POST)

Field Hockey: Kent State comes to Athens with a chance to clinch regular season title

Despite having two games on the schedule this weekend, Ohio is solely focused on the first game of the weekend, one that could determine the Mid-American Conference regular season champion.

The game on Friday against Kent State will be senior night for the Bobcats while the other game is against a non-conference foe.

The Golden Flashes (9-6, 5-0 MAC) is unbeaten in the MAC, and if they win on Friday they will be the regular season champions. Ohio would have to fight for second place against Miami next week.

On the offensive side, Kent State is led by Alison Harmatz with 13 goals and then a group of four players who have scored at least four goals each. Many of the goals have come off passes from Jessica Nesbitt, who has nine assists.

Defensively, the Golden Flashes allow only 1.87 goals per game, a result of preventing opponents from taking shots. They only allow 9.6 shots per game. 

When opponents get shots on goal, goalie Andrea Rinehart is there to stop them, she has saved two-thirds of them –– including three shutouts.

Ohio (6-8, 3-1 MAC) then heads out to test themselves against Michigan State (7-8, 3-3 Big 10) in a game that won't have a lot of impact to the Bobcats. The matchup against the Spartans is sandwiched between two crucial end-of-season MAC games.

Michigan State averages just under three goals per game and has two players with double-digit goals, Kendal Anderson and Megan Fenton. The Spartans have been led at the top with four players who have combined for 36 of the teams 44 goals, and 20 of the teams 31 assists.

Michigan State has done a good job on the defensive side as well, the team has only allowed just over two goals a game despite opponents attempting 13.5 shots per game. That's thanks to two goalies that are saving just over seventy percent of their opponents shots.

Ohio will play Michigan State on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Ralph Young Field in East Lansing, Michigan.

@TREricWalker

Ew399115@ohio.edu