Ohio's Kendall Ballard attempts to keep the ball away from Indiana University during the game Aug. 28. (FILE)

Field Hockey: Ohio loses its third straight

Ohio lost its third straight game Sunday afternoon to Michigan State, 3-1, in East Lansing, Michigan, after falling behind early.

Ohio (6-10, 3-2 Mid-American Conference) was able to respond after allowing two goals in the first thirteen minutes with a Brittany Keen goal off a penalty corner with an assist to Kendall Ballard.

Alex Pennington stood out for Ohio in goal with 10 saves out of 13 shots on goal by Michigan State (8-9, 3-4 Big Ten) who totaled 23 shots on the day.

The Bobcats had to defend for most of the game and did not challenge the Spartans goalkeeper. Ohio only managed three shots all game.

Ohio only attempted two penalty corners in the game, where a lot of its goals have originated from this season and also their only goal of this game came from a corner.

In the fifth minute, Michigan State went ahead on a goal by Kelsey Keener with an assist from Kristin Matula. The lead doubled in the thirteenth minute with an Addie Donaldson goal.

The game was put out of reach in the 45th minute as Megan Fenton netted her tenth goal of the season off a pass from Sophie Macadre.

Ohio plays their final conference game Oct. 29 against rival Miami (10-7, 4-1 MAC) in Oxford, Ohio, with second place in the conference on the line.

@TREricWalker

ew39915@ohio.edu