Nabanita Talukdar dances at Diwali on Sunday. (LIZ MOUGHON | PHOTO EDITOR)

Diwali brings ‘light’ to Indian culture

Abhilash Raichur remembers celebrating Diwali as a child by watching fireworks and setting off firecrackers while spending time with neighbors on the streets. This year, Raichur celebrated Diwali with Ohio University students and Athens residents.

The Indian Students Association hosted Diwali on Sunday, an old tradition originating in India that has spread throughout the world, where attendees watched Indian dancing and ate Indian cuisine.

The event began with appetizers such as samosa, a fried dumpling filled with potatoes and peas, and mango lassi, a traditional Indian drink.

Raichur, the host of the event, started the night off with an explanation of Diwali. Raichur said Diwali is the “Festival of Lights,” and is similar to a combination of Christmas and Independence Day. Diwali was celebrated in India on Oct. 30.

“When I was a kid, I was really fascinated with this, the celebration,” Raichur, a graduate student studying computer science, said. “All your neighbors are in the roads. The whole street is covered in papers. That’s how I grew up celebrating Diwali.”

Attendees at Diwali watched nine performances, each one a dance pertaining to India. Several dances featured Bollywood music and street music.

Vallari Sheel, a graduate student studying plant biology from New Delhi, India, performed a Bollywood dance, which she said she enjoyed. Diwali is a good time to spend with family and give to others, she said.

Diwali originates from an ancient legend about King Rama, a popular deity in Hinduism, whose wife was kidnapped by Ravana, the king of Lanka. After searching for his wife, he returned and a large celebration was held, Sheel said.

Other dances during Diwali included a medley of Indian songs performed by six children and a performance with five women in salwars, traditional Indian dresses. The Surya Dance group performed Indian street dances, and several members of Indian Students Association danced to Indian street music.

Kelli Wanamaker, a graduate student studying middle childhood education, has friends from India and wanted to come to Diwali to learn more about their culture and a different side of OU.

Wanamaker said when people think of OU, they generally think about the drinking culture and fraternity parties.

“We have this whole other culture here,” Wanamaker said. “We have the international students, including the Indian community, that quite frankly are a lot more interesting. For me as an OU student, I’d rather be exposed to this culture.”

Nisha Garud, a doctoral student studying journalism from Pune, India, said Diwali is the “perfect” time to reconnect with her culture.

“When you’re studying, you’re so busy with your own life, in your own world, that you have no time to reach people, to talk to them,” Garud said. “You make so many friends. This is a good time to exchange cultures.”

“Diwali means a lot of lights,” Garud. “It means a lot of food. It means a lot of family time. It’s like Christmas.”

After the dance performances, guests were invited to get traditional Indian cuisine catered by Amul, an Indian restaurant located in Dublin, Ohio. Dishes, such as malai kofta and dal makhani, sat on people’s plates along with rice and naan. For dessert, Ras Malai, a creamy dessert made from paneer, was scooped into bowls.

Diwali commenced with attendees dancing to Indian music at the center of Baker Ballroom on the dance floor.

Ansam Al Harthy, a sophomore from Muscat, Oman, studying applied nutrition, said it was her second time at Diwali and loves the dancing. Alharthy said it was a good opportunity to learn about another culture.

“Try to be inclusive with everyone, and it will open up more opportunities for college students to learn more about other celebrations than the ones they are used to,” Al Harthy said.

@jess_hillyeah

jh240314@ohio.edu