A tweet with the hashtag #BlackGirlMagic is accompanied with a picture of Tracee Ellis Ross at the Golden Globes. 

#blackgirlmagic is making its way through Twitter and empowering black women

Whether it’s a news article, a celebrity or a popular hashtag that is going around the internet, Twitter makes it easy for trending topics to be spread around the world.

A Twitter hashtag that is now making its way around the world is #blackgirlmagic. This hashtag can be found all over the internet whether users are looking for it or not.

“Popularity is due to the amount of people who share and retweet it, which only leads to more people seeing it and sharing it,” Ashley Nicholson, a freshman studying pre-med, said.

Nicholson is a member of the Black Student Cultural Programming Board.

“Our organization puts on many social events for campus,” Nicholson said, “as well as a variety of cultural expos that highlight various religions and cultural practices.”

Sierra Smith, a freshman studying finance, is also in the BSCPB. She loves the recognition the hashtag is getting because “it inspires us to accept the skin we live in and accept ourselves as beautiful.”

The hashtag is still growing in popularity with every tweet shared and sent out. Celebrities are being recognized and used as examples and inspirations, such as Tracee Ellis Ross, a black actress on the show Black-ish, and Viola Davis, an actress in the 2016 film Fences. Pictures of black women at the Golden Globes are being shared along with selfies accompanied by the hashtag #blackgirlmagic. These are just a few of the reasons why this hashtag is gaining so much popularity.

“We have a lot of people in the media being recognized,” Smith said.

Besides empowering the black women, the hashtag can have other positive effects.

“It represents loving oneself and embracing natural beauty,” Nicholson said. “They can do anything they set their mind too.”

Nichole Moorman, a senior studying journalism, works in the Multicultural Center on campus and said she is feeling empowered herself.

“It is empowering to look in the mirror and say ‘I am magic’ every day,” Moorman said. “There’s something special about being black and a woman.”

@becca_woj

rw243615@ohio.edu