BedPost: The phenomena that is ‘cuffing season’

Time to bundle up because cuffing season is in full swing.

But first, what in god’s name is cuffing season?

Every year since about 2011, a weird phenomenon has happened where couples seem to form out of thin air. We’re not sure if it’s the weather or the fact there aren’t many holidays you have to celebrate with them from December through spring break (the unofficial cuffing season timeline). But year after year, it continues to happen.

One thing to think about though is that usually cuffing season relationships don’t last very long. They’re mainly based on the fact that it’s cold and snowy so you need someone to cuddle with and have nights at home with. So don’t be too focused on the future and focus on the time you spend with them.

Want to be a part of the action? Here’s how to do it right:

1. Find someone you’re attracted to, physically. If you aren’t planning on a long-term relationship, why not pick someone who is hot? You can always choose to pick someone who challenges you intellectually, but if this is only a three-month thing, why not? It’s common knowledge you shouldn’t look for dates at the bars, but for now, who cares? Do it.
  2. State what you want out of the cuff early. Don’t lead the person on. If you just want a winter hook-up, tell them. Don’t lead them into a relationship if that’s not what you want.
  3. Don’t focus on the minute details. It is supposed to be fun so if your cuff is not the smartest, funniest or doesn’t have the best body, teeth, etc. don’t worry! Just take it how it goes.
  4. Be yourself. That is common sense. Seriously, why would you act like someone else? You don’t have to impress a person when you’re just cuddling with occasional sex. Not a big deal; be yourself.
  5. Have fun. Have as much fun as you can. Experiment, try new positions/sexual favors, toys or whatever you want. This could be seen as betterment in bed for you and your partner.

On the off-chance this does develop into something more, you’ll know your cuff knows the real you and how freaky you can be (if you decide to experiment). Then you can all ride off into the sunset of single season (the summer) in a relationship.

Happy cuffing!

Hannah Wintucky is a sophomore studying strategic communication and Spanish at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you plan on getting 'cuffed?' Let Hannah know by emailing her or tweeting her at hw333514@ohio.edu or @wintuck.