Athens Uncorked co-owners and siblings Nate Hayes, left, and Kathy Blake, right, talk together in the dining area of Athens Uncorked, a new wine bar located on Station Street that opened in early December. Both expect business to pick up once students arrive back in Athens and also plan to serve coffee and Fluff pastries starting Monday, January 12, from 7:30 a.m. until 11 a.m. (EMILY HARGER | PHOTO EDITOR)

Couples can spend their Valentine’s Day at a local restaurant this year

Meghan O’Dea, a sophomore studying strategic communication, said, “An ideal Valentine's Date would probs be going to a nice dinner, getting some ice cream, then seeing a movie.”

But many people have differing opinions on what is considered a “good” date and on the best way to spend a Valentine’s Day.

Many without a significant other take their time on Valentine’s Day to organize bonding time with their close friends. Whether looking for a casual night with girlfriends or a romantic dinner with a significant other, Athens’ local restaurants can supply a perfect fit.

Little Fish Brewing Company will hold an event Valentine’s Day at 3 p.m. filled with beer and truffles. The casual event will feature two yet-to-be-named beers and truffles from Athens’ own Petru Chocolates. Specialty beers available are described as a soured, raspberry Woodthrush and a Little Harvey's on nitro, conditioned on organic cacao nibs from Hawaii. Truffle flights will be $6 for three truffles. Flavors include whisky-caramel, raspberry lambic and citrus-pecan. Only 100 truffles are available, so arriving early will be beneficial.

For a more formal option, Fluff Bakery and Pork & Pickles will pair up on Valentine’s Day for a four-course meal with drink pairings. Owners Becky Clark from Pork & Pickles and Jessica Kopelwitz from Fluff Bakery will focus on the savory aspects of the meal, while also bringing artisan cocktails, local craft beer and wine, and ice cream and cookies for dessert. House-made pasta is a highlight of the menu. Each course will come with a drink that will pair perfectly.

"Collaborative events give us the opportunity to offer guests the best possible dining experience,” Clark said. “We've spent a great deal of time creating the menu, and we're both extremely excited to be able to offer it to our Athens community. It's events like this one that drive us to do what we do best: create and share."

At $60 a person, the meal at Fluff Bakery & Catering has seating times of 5:30 and 7:45 p.m. are available online or directly through Pork & Pickles or Fluff Bakery at their respective locations.

Sol Island Bar & Grill is holding a “5 Course Couple's Dinner” at $75 per couple or $59 if both attendees show a student ID.

“Last year I went to Sol for Valentine's Day,” Kaylee Klinger, a sophomore studying communication studies, said. “It was my first time there, and I absolutely loved it. I (would) recommend to anyone.”

With seating times at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m., the meal has everything from filet mignon to fondue.

"Food is like love. If it is good, it evokes passion, emotion,” Todd Wilson, the owner of Sol, said. “Without either we are not whole, and we cannot live. That is why there is such a tradition of eating a wonderful, beautiful meal together on such occasions as Valentine's Day. ... Sol in its five-year history has seen first dates, proposals and even anniversary celebrations of those events, so it is the perfect place to bring your true love to celebrate.”

A champagne flute and chocolates will be complimentary. For reservations, call 740-592-1740.

Athens Uncorked will hold a Moonstruck Burlesque show on Friday at 7 p.m. for $10 and a live music performance on Saturday at 8 p.m. with pianist Janice Paris. Also featured will be a special Valentine's dessert menu and the “famous” Chocolate Covered Cherry Sangria.

"We're doing naughty and nice this weekend,” Nate Hayes, the co-owner of Athens Uncorked, said. “The Moonstruck Burlesque show on Friday for those looking for a high-class thrill, and then pianist Janice Paris playing romantic piano on Saturday for a quiet date night out."

No matter where couples end up on Valentine’s Day, an enchanting and filling night will ensue.

@lesliemilkie37

lm755415@ohio.edu