McDavis faces criticism during penultimate week; new university president to be announced Feb. 22

In his penultimate week as president of Ohio University, Roderick McDavis has been in the spotlight for issues stemming from last week’s sit-in at Baker Center. Here’s more information on the top stories from the fifth week of Spring Semester.

McDavis and other administrators questioned during Faculty Senate meeting; farewell event canceled

During his final Faculty Senate meeting Monday, McDavis, along with Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit and Assistant Dean of Students Jamie Patton, received criticism from attendees, some of whom were students arrested during last week’s sit-in at Baker Center.

Attendees criticized administrators for not taking a strong enough stance on President Donald Trump’s immigration policies and urged administrators to establish a sanctuary campus and have the charges against the demonstrators dropped.

McDavis emphasized the concern of funding cuts if the university were to become a sanctuary campus, while also defending the university’s position on certain issues.

“To say that we are oblivious is absolutely wrong,” McDavis said. “To say that this administration has not done anything on this issue is dead wrong. We have done a lot. We will continue to do a lot.”

The following day, a presidential farewell event for McDavis was canceled after the Office of the President was informed of a group planning to stage a protest at the event.

"We want to be sure that campus is not going to be open to more difficulties and stress at the expense of a farewell to us," McDavis said in a news release. "We know so many of you respect and hold us in a high regard, and that itself is enough to let us know we have all their blessings and well wishes."

Three candidates drop out of presidential search; trustees to announce new president on Feb. 22

Dean Bresciani, Robert Frank and Pam Benoit, three of the four candidates to replace McDavis as OU president, officially withdrew their names from consideration this week.

Robert Frank withdrew Thursday. University Spokesperson Carly Leatherwood confirmed Wednesday afternoon Benoit withdrew from the search. It is unclear why she withdrew from the search.

Bresciani announced Tuesday in an email sent to NDSU that he intends to remain in his position as president of North Dakota State University.

The OU Board of Trustees will announce the next president Feb. 22, five days after McDavis is scheduled to leave office. Board members will meet at OU’s Dublin campus to vote for the appointment of the new president prior to the announcement. The event will be live-streamed.

Former OU student charged with drugging women’s drinks at a bar

A 21-year-old Athens resident and former OU student has been arrested and charged with drugging three women’s drinks at an Athens bar.

The Athens County Prosecutor’s Office has accused Robert Neal II of pouring white powder into three shots on the evening of Feb. 1, according to a prosecutor’s office news release.

Neal is being held at the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail on $500,000 bond.

His charges, two counts of corrupting another with drugs, are both second-degree felonies and carry a maximum prison sentence of two to eight years and a maximum fine of $15,000 if convicted.

The name of the bar where the alleged crimes occurred was not named in the news release, but “local liquor establishments were very cooperative” during the investigation, the release stated.

OU Spokesman Dan Pittman would not say when Neal’s enrollment at OU ended, citing privacy rights.

@Heeeeeres_Jonny

jp351014@ohio.edu