Ohio redshirt senior pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey pitches against Northn Illinois during the top of the second inning at the Ohio Softball Field on Friday, February 17, 2017. The game had to be suspended until 10 AM Saturday morning because of the lack of sunlight.

Softball: Ohio takes down Toledo to start conference play

The Bobcats rushed out of the dugout and quickly surrounded home plate jumping up and down as soon as they saw the ball clear the centerfield wall. 

Morgan Geno’s two-run home run in the fourth inning gave Ohio an 8-1 lead.

It was just another game for the Ohio offense this season.

When all was said and done, the Bobcats won 10-1, picking up their sixth win in a game that went less than the full seven innings.

Ohio was lead offensively by the bottom half of the lineup. Geno, hitting in the six hole, went 2-for-2 with a double, the home run and four RBIs. The seven, eight and nine hole hitters of Madison Claytor, Mikayla Cooper and Deanna Cole combined to go 5-for-8 with a home run and four RBIs.

“Up and down the lineup, the production I was extremely proud of,” coach Jodi Hermanek said. “It’s an awesome day offensively when the bottom half is doing their thing for you.”

The benefit of all the offense was Savannah Jo Dorsey, who was the starting pitcher for Ohio.

Dorsey picked up the win after throwing five innings and allowing just one run on a solo home run by the Toledo leadoff hitter Chandler Rice. After that home run, Dorsey would settle in and only allow one hit, striking out five batters over the rest of the game to preserve the run rule victory.

“These girls, the hitters, deserved that win,” Dorsey said. “They were going out there and attacking, and they deserved that run rule, so I wanted to close that out for them.”

Hermanek said every at-bat is taken personally by each hitter, and that allows them to keep the energy up the entire game and pile on runs.

“It's a game where you can’t let off,” Geno said of the constant energy the entire game. “You have to be all in 100 percent every pitch, and it’s like two hours of full mental focus, and then you can relax after.”

The win improved Ohio’s overall record to 20-6, and extends Ohio’s winning streak to seven games. 

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu