Women's golf player Hailey Hrynewich of Muskegon, Michigan, poses for a portrait. (File)

Women's Golf: With confidence rising, Ohio heads to the final tournament before MAC

Ohio will head to the Dolores Black Falcon Invitational in Bowling Green, Ohio, for the last tournament before the Mid-American Conference Tournament coming off a second-place finish at the Lady Colonel Classic.

The Bobcats gained confidence in the last tournament through battling difficult course conditions the first day and rebounding with a third round, which is tied for third in Ohio history.

“It gives us some confidence, going in knowing that we can do this. It’s something we all know we can put together,” coach Kelly Ovington said.

Ohio has finished as a team in the top five of the last two tournaments, along with only two of their last nine rounds being over 306.

In the last tournament, for the first time all season, Hailey Hrynewich was not the best-scoring Bobcat, but she's not worried about her first score over 230 this season.

Lily Pendy and Nicole Smiley lead the Bobcats, both continuing the improvements they had made in past tournaments. They saw two top-five finishes.  

Bowling Green hosted the tournament and was at the Rio Verde Invitational with Ohio in February. Ohio tied for 16th and Bowling Green finished 18th.

Last year, the tournament was canceled due to snow. It is always a challenge not knowing what the weather will be like, Ovington said.

“I feel pretty confident going into this tournament that we’ll be competitive to win,” Ovington said.

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu