OU President Duane Nellis gets Bobcat ID, breakfast with Mayor Steve Patterson and Athens leaders

Ohio University’s 21st president, Duane Nellis, started his first official day bright and early by receiving his Ohio Bobcat ID, like most students here on campus did when they first came to campus for Bobcat Student Orientation.

“I already feel like I was at home, and now I’m officially home,” Nellis said as he held up his new ID card.

Nellis also spoke about how excited he was to be in the “rolling hills region” and how beautiful everything is around this time of year.

“My wife and I drove the scenic route of old (route) 33 the other day, and we couldn’t get over the scenery here,” he said. “We couldn’t be happier.”

After receiving his ID, Nellis went upstairs to the Baker Center Ballroom to meet and shake hands with new students attending BSO. People were excited to meet the new president. Nellis then made his way to Cutler Hall, where a breakfast was being held for leaders of the Athens community, including Mayor Steve Patterson.

“I’m so honored to be here and excited to see what’s to come these next upcoming years,” Nellis said. “But today, I am a little tired. We woke up around 4 a.m.”

@meagganhall

mh871316@ohio.edu