Quentin Poling strips the football during Ohio's game against EMU on Sept. 23. The Bobcats won 27-20 in overtime. (FILE)

Football X's and O's: UMass looking healthy on offense

UMass looks like it will finally be healthy. 

Quarterback Andrew Ford left UMass' most recent game against Tennessee with an injury and did not return. His status for Saturday: probable. Ford is eighth in passing yards in the country, with 1,333 yards so far this season.

Another sigh of relief for the Minutemen is that tight end Adam Breneman will likely play as well, according to a report from the Daily Hampshire Gazette. 

Breneman, a former Penn State transfer, is considered by some to be the nation's best tight end. He re-aggravated an ankle injury and missed the Tennessee game, but practiced this week.

With UMass' lineup now at full strength, Ohio cannot take it's final non-conference game of the season lightly.

Breakdown

UMass' first game of the year was arguably its best offensive showing of the year, which is where I'll look at their offensive scheme. 

Ford threw for 275 yards on 21-of-30 passing, with two touchdowns and one interception. He threw to Breneman often, who caught nine passes for 179 yards. Breneman almost doubled up the second leading receiver, who caught five balls.

The Minutemen still ran the ball more often than not, on the back of Marquis Young. He carried the ball on 20 of the 41 carries for the Minutemen. That's been a theme all year for UMass, a higher run than pass ratio.

At the 31:40 mark of this YouTube video, Hawaii makes it easy for UMass.

The Minutemen line up in a trips right, shotgun formation. Breneman is at the top of the trips formation with a defender straight overtop of him. 

Breneman is jammed off the line of scrimmage, but breaks left as the two receivers on the right head downfield. 

The receiver on the left runs a drag route, usually a clear-out route to open up the field for him. 

Ford, a lefty, realizes that the play is not in front of him, but downfield to Breneman. Breneman is wide open — there isn't a defender within 10 yards of him. 

But the throw is high. Breneman has to jump to make the catch and brings it down while spinning and falling. 

UMass ended up at the six-yard line and scored on that possession.

Judgement

The Bobcats need to make sure they have eyes on Breneman the entire afternoon. It wouldn't be a surprise to see both a linebacker and safety on Breneman, who could absolutely break down an Ohio defense. 

But aside from Breneman, the Bobcats should be fine — if they can keep a man on No. 81 all day long.

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu