BedPost: Risqué piercings

There’s yet another way to improve your sex life, but it requires piercing your privates.

Genital piercings have been around for centuries. Men in Ancient Greece would have foreskin piercings that were tied with a leather strip at the base of the penis to make fighting easier. And on the Asian island Borneo, certain penile piercings represented the protective power a man had over his family, and it was also used sexually.

However, Western societies didn’t start to embrace risqué body jewelry until the 70s when a few piercers, Jim Ward and Doug Malloy, were known for their work on private parts and more people could read information on the growing trend in Piercing Fans International Quarterly.

Genital piercings aren’t too common among Americans, roughly 3 percent have them, but they are less stigmatized now that celebrities and other “normal” people are getting them.

If you decide to get a risqué piercing, you should do lots of research beforehand, pick a piercing that’ll suit your body and choose a reputable piercer.

Unfortunately for men, the body jewelry mainly helps out women during sex because they feel increased rubbing from their own piercings and a male partner’s.

The most common genital piercing for females would be a vertical clitoral hood piercing, which goes through the top of the hood and out the bottom. Not everyone can get this kind; they must have a cotton swab test to see if their clitoral hood is deep enough to have it without damage to the clitoris. These probably offer the most stimulation because they are directly against your most sensitive body part, but horizontal clitoral hood piercings are also an option.

Women can get a few other types of risqué piercings that are mostly for aesthetic reasons. A Christina piercing is inserted vertically on the pubic mound right above the clitoral hood. Labia piercings are usually done in pairs on either the inner or outer lips. Either of these piercings could help women by making them feel more confident about their bodies and like they’re raging against society's expectations.

Men aren’t entirely left out of this conversation. The only downside for them is that they’d either be getting pierced to spice up their penis or benefit their female partners. Their physical feelings aren’t increased during sexual activity. Ironically, men have more genital areas to pierce than women and therefore more types of genital piercings.

Prince Albert piercings, falsely named after Queen Victoria’s consort, are placed on the head of the penis through the underside and out of the urethral opening (traditional PA) or through the top and out (reverse PA).

An apadravya piercing can specifically help hit a woman’s G-Spot during sex because one of the balls may rub against it. It goes through the head of the penis from top to bottom.

Men can also get the underside of their penis shaft done with a frenum piercing, two or more makes up a Jacob’s Ladder which needs to be built slowly over time. Sometimes, they pierce their scrotum in a line formation. After healing, the scrotal piercings can carry a small weight which pulls the sack down and prolongs orgasm.

Aftercare for genital piercings is extremely important to avoid infections or skin discomfort. You should follow any special instructions your piercer gives you. Depending on the piercing, there are allotted amounts of time for how long you should refrain from sexual activity. You should also wash your new piercing with sea salt solution 3-6 times a day. When you do start having sex again, it’s best to use a condom or dental dam to keep bacteria from reaching the opening and you should cease all activity if you ever feel discomfort.

Meghan Morris is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Would you consider a risqué piercing? Let Meghan know by tweeting her @marvelllousmeg.