The crowd watches as Bobby Booshay performs during the Athens Halloween Block Party on Saturday. (PROVIDED via Kevin Pan | For the Athens Halloween Block Party)

Crowds brave the cold to support local musicians at Athens Halloween Block Party

Editor's note: This report has been updated to omit a quote that included a sexual innuendo directed toward a person who was unaware of the comments that were made. 

Music lovers of all ages, dressed up in costumes ranging from Playboy bunnies to Wednesday Addams, braved chilly temperatures Saturday night to dance to the beats of local DJs and bands at the Athens Halloween Block Party.

Despite lower attendance at the block party than previous years, partygoers readily supported the musicians enthusiastically blasting original songs and mixes of popular hits on the two Court Street stages.

The Slip N Fly Fest Stage at the intersection of Court and Union streets showcased 10 DJs, accompanied by costumed dancers, who pumped up the crowd. The high-energy performances, backdropped by smoke and lights, inspired partygoers to dance through the night unbothered by the cold.

DJ Rick Web, who played the Slip N Fly Fest Stage from 8 to 8:30 p.m., drew a crowd of people beyond college students with his remixes of well-known hits.

Alexis Lehmann, 27, traveled from Toledo for the block party and dressed as Thing 1 from The Cat in the Hat, while her sister dressed as Thing 2. Lehmann said she recognized most of the songs Webb played despite being part of what she called “the older crowd.”

“Being around all of these college kids made me feel so young, but I still felt like I fit right in,” she said.

Keenan Reese, 36 and also from Toledo, visited his cousin, who attends Ohio University, for the weekend. Reese was dressed in an Usher costume and said Webb’s great mixes inspired him and his friends to dance so much they sweated through their costumes.

“Athens is such a cool place,” Reese said. “Everyone I've ran into has been super nice so far, so I'm glad my cousin goes to a college with such an awesome atmosphere.”

At 9 p.m., DJ Get Weird took over the Slip N Fly Fest Stage to announce the winners of the costume contest. The winning male costume was “Macho Man” Randy Savage, who eagerly chanted, “OU, oh yeah!”

The female and couple’s costume prizes went to Jessica Hill, who is a Post reporter, dressed as Mary Poppins and her companion, Bert. 

The North Stage, situated at the far end of Court Street near its intersection with Carpenter Street, featured local bands playing original songs. A few returning crowd favorites included Conscious Pilot and the D-Rays.

Bradleigh Aeh, a freshman studying photojournalism, was dressed as a minion and enjoyed the D-Rays set.

“It's good so far,” he said. “Better than the other stage with all the DJs.”

Conscious Pilot, a Columbus-based rock group, played the North Stage from 9:30 to 10:30 p.m. Its four members were dressed in formal shirts, ties, suspenders and pilot caps.

“A lot of our roots as a band reside in Athens,” Conscious Pilot bassist Jake Gust said. “We've developed a strong family network here, so it's a lot like returning home every time we head to the hills.”

Anna Baier, a German international student at Shawnee State University who dressed as a witch, said she enjoyed Conscious Pilot’s performance — despite it being a little louder than she might’ve preferred.

“It’s different from Germany,” Baier said. “I mean, we celebrate Halloween, but it’s nowhere this big. People here are just so creative.”

The Post Culture Staff contributed to this report.

@adeichelberger

ae595714@ohio.edu