Ohio quarterback Nathan Rourke tries to escape Central Michigan defense during the homecoming game on October 7, 2017. (MIJANA MAZUR | FOR THE POST)

Football X's and O's: Ohio to face Kent State defense that needs a shutdown games

Kent State's defense has one of the most stressful tasks in college football — it has to be near perfect every week.

The Golden Flashes are one of the worst offenses in college football. Meaning, the defense has to step up each week and keep the team in the game to prevent a blowout.

And for the most part, it's done that. 

Excluding both ranked games against then-No. 5 Clemson and No. 19 Louisville this season, Kent State has only allowed 21.5 points per game against Football Bowl Subdivision teams. Kent State allowed 56 points to Clemson and 42 to Louisville. 

That number is significantly better than the 30.7 points per game overall that the standings show. With extra pressure mounting on the Kent State defense each week, Ohio has to take advantage early and put pressure on in the first quarter.

Breakdown

Kent State runs a defense that Ohio is used to seeing — the 4-2-5. 

Set up like a traditional 4-3 defense, the 4-2-5 kicks out a linebacker into the slot to defend against the pass. With Papi White back, that position will play an even greater importance for Kent State in defending Ohio's offense. 

At the 49:08 mark of this YouTube video, Miami lines up in the shotgun, trips left. Kent State counters by walking a safety up on the weak-side of the field. 

gif created by Andrew Gillis from YouTube user American Sports

Right before the snap, the Golden Flashes walk over one of their linebackers, James Alexander, so there's just one linebacker behind the defensive line.

Billy Bahl and the RedHawks tried to run a bubble screen to the left, but that slot corner, Jamal Parker, jumps the route. 

Parker fights through a block from a tight end and steps in front of the pass for the interception. 

Judgement

The Bobcats will have to be careful with how they use the slot receiver position this week. White should be able to have a field day against the Golden Flashes defense.

Ohio is better in every facet of the game compared to Kent State. If Ohio plays how it can, then there will be absolutely no problem in taking a 6-2 record into the Miami game next week.

The Bobcats cannot let the Golden Flashes force turnovers or score on defense. That's really the only way that the Golden Flashes can stay in the game, so Bobcats can't beat themselves.

Essentially, an average performance by the Ohio offense should warrant a second half that's uncompetitive. 

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu