Frank and Laurel reconnected on this week's episode of 'How to Get Away with Murder.' (photo via How to Get Away with Murder on Instagram) 

TV Review: 5 craziest moments from this week's episode of 'How to Get Away with Murder'

Following the intense pace and inspiring rhetoric of last week's episode of How to Get Away with Murder, Thursday’s episode showed characters facing off, resulting in a slower episode that culminated in a dramatic yet mysterious ending. Here are the top five moments from last night’s episode.

1.  Annalise won another case

Annalise (Viola Davis) started this episode by creating a plan. She was positioning herself as an effective lawyer to take down the governor and the entire state of Pennsylvania. However, to accomplish this, Annalise went through the files of the public defender from last episode, hoping to find another instance of neglect. Annalise went to get the files from the state, but they cost $3,000 to print. To obtain the money, Annalise called Hargrove (Lauren Vélez), who is going to trial with her husband over their divorce.

Hargrove already had hired a lawyer, who turned out to be Michaela’s (Aja Naomi King) new boss, Tegan (Amirah Vann). Annalise convinced Hargrove to let her be a consultant on the case, much to the dismay of Michaela. Once on the case, Annalise realized it was going to be a lot harder than she originally thought, as the defense had video evidence of Hargrove being an alcoholic and being unfit to have custody of the kids. However, Michaela found evidence of the husband meeting with his financial advisor and hiding his assets before filing the divorce. That resulted in a settlement that is much lower for Hargrove and gave her custody of the kids and marks another win for Annalise. Soon after, she was offered a position at Caplan, the firm Michaela now works at.

It will be interesting to watch this dynamic going forward. If Annalise accepts the position, she is sure to clash with Michaela, who seemingly hates her. However, if she doesn’t she will have almost no money and no source of income. With such strong-willed women as Michaela and Tegan being at the firm, it’s hard to see Annalise not working there.

2.  Laurel “reconnects” with Frank

Frank (Charlie Weber) and Laurel (Karla Souza) have a long history in this show. Last season, Frank was put on the sidelines as Laurel developed interest in Wes (Alfred Enoch). However, now that Wes is gone, Laurel seems to be interested in Frank again. Frank met up with Laurel this episode to talk to her. He told her that he is fully supportive of her and will do anything he can to help her. Laurel responded by kissing Frank, and the two ended up hooking up in his car. 

Surely, with Laurel and Frank reconnected, the two will have some intense scenes going forward. The biggest question is whether Laurel’s baby’s dad is Frank or Wes. It will definitely be something to watch out for next week. 

3.  Michaela joins forces with Laurel

It didn’t take long for Michaela to be convinced to join Laurel in helping take down her father. Michaela attempted to log into Caplan’s files, but she didn’t have the access. She thought if she helped Tegan more, she would get more access to the files and be able to retrieve them for Laurel. Michaela went to get into the files after winning the case with Annalise and Tegan, but she still didn’t have access.

Laurel further proved her point to Michaela when she realized that the district attorney was being funneled money via a fake alias. The money was coming from her father, who was paying the DA to cover Wes’ murder. Michaela took this evidence to heart, finally calling Oliver (Conrad Ricamora) and asking for his help.

As viewers saw in the flash-forward, it obviously will have repercussions for Michaela and Oliver. It will be interesting to see what Oliver can find on Laurel’s father and see what Caplan has on him. It seems pretty convenient that Michaela’s firm would be the one to have information on her father, but audience members will see how that plays out down the road.

4.  Connor has a heart-to-heart with his father

In the last episode, Connor’s (Jack Falahee) two dads showed up to confront him about dropping out of law school. This episode saw the dads much more relaxed, even providing backstory on Connor. Connor came out when he was 12 years old, which inspired Connor’s dad to come out only a week later. Connor’s dad said that he wishes he had been more sensitive to Connor’s feelings and realized the effect it would have. Connor still viewed his father with disdain, even when his dad admitted that he only wants what’s best.

In a 180-degree turnaround, Connor’s dad told Connor he didn’t think Oliver was the right person for him. He said that Oliver is a nice guy, but Connor is faking the relationship. Connor’s dad went on to talk about Connor always being independent and not wanting anyone else. This only fueled Connor’s anger, resulting in a stand-off, and Connor stormed off.

There must be some significance to the scene where Connor’s dad said he shouldn’t be with Oliver. It seems to be out of nowhere, with the idea of Connor faking the relationship not even making sense to viewers. Hopefully, Connor will stick with Oliver but reconnect or find a better path to talk to his father.

5.  Of course, the flash-forward with Oliver

As the episode came to a close, viewers saw Bonnie (Liza Weil) showing up to Annalise’s therapist under the alias “Julie.” It comes into play later on when the therapist is at the hospital comforting Michaela. He received a call from Bonnie, who is still going by Julie, but declined the call. Bonnie then walked into the Caplan office, which was covered in blood and had police all around it. Bonnie asked where the witness was, and the cop pointed to a bloody Oliver, sitting under a blanket and shivering.

It’s safe to say Oliver is involved in this because of his hacking for Michaela. The fact he had to hack Caplan for her can only mean trouble and this flash-forward proves it. Also, if Oliver is at Caplan and Michaela, Frank, and Laurel are at the hospital, where is Annalise? And where is the baby? How to Get Away with Murder will likely have viewers questioning all of this up until the finale.

@huntergraffice4

hg551416@ohio.edu