Oprah made history during the 75th Golden Globes on Sunday. (photo via @goldenglobes Instagram)

8 thoughts about the 75th Golden Globes

Hollywood’s hottest party took place Sunday as the best in TV and film gathered at The Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles for the Golden Globes.

As usual, politics and current events were the main topics of conversation. Almost everyone wore all black to stand together for the Time’s Up movement, while Sterling K. Brown and Aziz Ansari became the first black person and first Asian-American, respectively, to win in TV’s lead actor categories. Here are eight thoughts about the 75th Golden Globes ceremony: 

Why does the Globes have a host?

The Golden Globes is not a host-friendly event. The person gets up there and does an opening monologue, then tries their best to get one-liners in throughout the night. The presenters are typically the ones who deliver the best jokes, and they are introduced through an intercom. There is really no reason to have a host. Just let it happen without it. The Globes are not a big spectacle like the Oscars — it’s just a place for Hollywood stars to hang out. 

Seeing women unite is really moving

Most of the women in the room took a stand in solidarity against sexual harassment. Many of the presenters told jokes about women being paid more than men, and they all said “Time’s Up.” It was great to see so many people banding together, but the men in the house didn’t acknowledge it at all in acceptance speeches. That is such a shame. 

James Franco is the sweetest person

When James Franco won Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy, Tommy Wiseau — who Franco portrayed in The Disaster Artist — joined him on stage. But Franco acknowledged his little brother Dave the most, saying he always wanted his own Coen brother and found a Franco brother instead. 

“Thanks to my mother for giving him to me,” he said. 

If you didn’t love James already, here’s a reason to. 

The stars of Get Out are not amused

Remember when the Hollywood Foreign Press Association nominated Get Out as a comedy? Remember how that was a stupid idea? Yeah, the cast knows it too. Daniel Kaluuya sat through the entire ceremony with a very peeved look on his face. Maybe he was enjoying himself on the inside? Or maybe he really wanted to get out of there. 

Oprah becomes the first black woman to receive the Cecil B. DeMille Award

First off, how is this stat real? Second, Oprah stole the show in an eloquent way. She told a story of how she remembered Sidney Poitier’s Oscar win as he became the first black man to win Best Actor. And in 1982, he received the Cecil B. DeMille Award.  

“In 1982, Sidney received the Cecil B. DeMille award right here at the Golden Globes, and it is not lost on me that at this moment, there are some little girls watching as I become the first black woman to be given this same award,” she said.

Oprah received a standing ovation when she acknowledged the women in the room: “For too long, women have not been heard or believed if they dare speak the truth to the power of those men. But their time is up. Their time is up.”

Oprah will forever be a legend. 

Natalie Portman and Barbra Streisand throw shade at the Best Director category

When announcing the nominees for Best Director, presenter Natalie Portman pointed out the “all-male” lineup. And when Barbra Streisand announce Best Motion Picture, Drama, she appalled that she is the only woman to receive a Globe in the category. 

“That was 30 years ago. Time’s up,” Streisand said. 

It came a shock that director Greta Gerwig was not nominated for Best Director for Lady Bird — especially when it took home the award for Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy. If Gerwig isn’t nominated for an Academy Award in the directing category, hell will surely rise. Gerwig deserves all of the recognition, and maybe she should get a nomination over a director who has been nominated a few too many times. *cough cough*

Saoirse Ronan is the real deal

Leading up to the Golden Globes, it looked like Margot Robbie’s performance in I, Tonya would land her a statue, but Saoirse Ronan swooped in. The charming 23-year-old is the newest up-and-coming actress. She could be compared to Jennifer Lawrence with her demeanor and the roles she chooses, but she handles herself with the grace of Meryl Streep. Ronan is the real deal. Expect her to be in many, many more award-winning films. 

Lady Bird might lose steam

Comedies have really stolen the show this year. Movies like Dunkirk and Call Me By Your Name have failed to sustain buzz, but films like I, Tonya, The Disaster Artist and Lady Bird have reigned supreme. Come Oscar season, though, Lady Bird might face some serious competition. 

The film took home the award for Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy, but it’s possible it could lose steam. There are still three months until the Oscars, which gives other films time to resurge and generate buzz. 

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu