Justin Timberlake's halftime performance was met with mixed reviews. (photo via @justintimberlake Instagram)

Justin Timberlake dances his heart out, honors Prince for some reason during the Super Bowl halftime show

Following up last year’s halftime show with Lady Gaga, pop superstar Justin Timberlake brought swagger to the Super Bowl halftime show in Minneapolis. To announce the start of the show, late-night host Jimmy Fallon introduced Timberlake. 

The pop star started off with his single, “Filthy,” from his new album, Man of the Woods. Timberlake danced beneath the stadium while lasers swirled around him. Emerging onto the field (in some questionable fashion choices), Timberlake introduced his band, the Tennessee Kids. 

Singing popular hits such as “SexyBack,” “My Love” and “Cry Me A River,” Timberlake showed just why he’s so popular in the industry. Along with his energetic singing, Timberlake showed that he’s a great dancer, too. In fact, throughout the almost 15-minute performance, he was rarely not dancing. 

The biggest moment of the entire performance was Timberlake’s tribute to Prince. Earlier in the week, rumors of there being a hologram of the late-singer were shot down by people all over Twitter. Though the hologram idea was scrapped, Timberlake still honored Prince by casting a video of him onto a sheet and performing “I Would Die 4 U.” Though touching, it sparked the question, “Why is Justin Timberlake honoring Prince?” and many people on Twitter had mixed reviews. 

After wrapping up his Prince tribute, Timberlake closed out his show by performing arguably one of his biggest songs in recent years, “Can't Stop the Feeling!” The singer ran up into the crowd, took selfies with fans and showed just how excited he was to be performing at the Super Bowl. 

Overall, Timberlake’s halftime show wasn’t the worst in history, but it wasn’t the best either. It succeeded in getting those in the crowd and at home singing along, but otherwise, there wasn’t anything spectacular about it.

Timberlake performed and did what he was supposed to do, and that was that. Though not everyone was impressed with his show, it’s certain that Timberlake will sleep soundly tonight and continue on with his life of superstardom. 

@mollyschramm2

ms660416@ohio.edu