Cinema and Syntax: Romantic comedies are the best genre of film

The best way to spend Valentine’s Day is curled up in bed, eating chocolate and watching a romantic comedy, which is the best genre of film by far. 

Romantic comedies make people feel great because no matter what, they are going to predict at least 90 percent of the movies’ plot points. The main characters don’t realize they are in love, someone makes a romantic gesture and gets rejected, then they miraculously end up together. If it’s a wedding movie, one can almost guarantee the main character is in love with the bride or groom, like My Best Friend’s Wedding

Romantic comedies are perfect for people who do not really care about the quality of acting, because it is always mediocre at best. There are some great actors and actresses in romantic comedies, and they excel at combining the longing feelings for a human being with the comedic elements of courtship, but not much thought goes into the performance. It is all about repetition. That’s why every romantic comedy features a strong duo like Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan or Julia Roberts and Richard Gere.

The best part about romantic comedies is that it’s easy to multitask during them. The audience can chow down on some food, have conversations or even allow it to lull them to sleep. 

Romantic comedies are a comfort for those who really want to know what love is all about. They show people that real love is showing up to someone’s house holding gigantic notecards in the snow or holding a boombox outside of a person’s house — even though the neighbors probably hate them. 

Then whoever is watching turns off the television with even higher expectations of love and spends the rest of their life alone. Believe me, I speak from experience.  

Georgia Davis is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What is your favorite part about romantic comedies? Tell Georgia by tweeting her at @georgiadee35