Cheryl's story on 'Riverdale' has shaped up to be the best of season two. (via @thecwriverdale on Instagram)

TV Review: Cheryl’s storyline is the most moving and important part of Riverdale this season

Season two of Riverdale has forced viewers into sifting through the seemingly endless number of arcs and themes to pick out what might be important. Sometimes it proves to be a challenge with the slew of romances, political alliances and illegal activities.

Other times, it’s a little easier. Right now, Cheryl (Madelaine Petsch)’s storyline, though it may be minor compared to the screen time dedicated to other characters, is the most socially important theme of the show by far.

Just a few weeks ago, it was explicitly confirmed that Cheryl is bisexual. From that moment, her relationship with Toni (Vanessa Morgan) has grown and become a sweet high note among the tension that permeates the rest of the show.

Prior to this week, it was evident that Cheryl’s strange family didn’t approve of her sexuality. But then her cruel and unusual mother took it up a level, locking her up against her will in an institution that subjects her to some form of conversion therapy.

When confronted, Cheryl’s mother sickeningly defends her actions by claiming she’s trying to help Cheryl break from her “deviant behavior.” She even claims the place she sent Cheryl is a “wellness institute.” Her justifying language and unashamed mannerisms are nauseating considering the pain she obviously subjects her daughter to. 

Madelaine Petsch’s performance makes the haunting scenes in the institution all the more impactful. The flair she brings to Cheryl’s usual melodrama is contrasted so starkly during her quiet, tearful scenes. It’s one of the most moving performances of the show thus far.

For all of Cheryl’s flaws and petty attempts to create needless drama, she doesn’t deserve what happened to her. The writers cleverly injected an important message into the show by making a less-than-likable character the one who suffers in the most psychologically brutal way.

Toni and Cheryl’s moving kiss before escaping from the institution was a clear message sent. Despite opposition, love is love. For all the poorly-written chaos of Riverdale this season, that is one thing it got right.

@adeichelberger

ae595714@ohio.edu