One Earbud In: Personal themes in rap are just as popular as boasting

Going through any rap fan’s Spotify account, you’ll probably find two drastic different themes right after one another: boasting about wealth, women and the like, and something a bit more personal — overcoming a bad breakup, for example. 

Those things are pretty different, right? Both, however, are popular and relate to the listener’s mood. 

On one end of the spectrum, we see artists like Logic and Kendrick Lamar, who have captured fame through self-improvement and expression, from Lamar winning a Pulitzer for DAMN. and the album’s unprecedented transparency and storytelling to Logic advertising aid for mental illness in his song “1-800-273-8255.”

Drake can also be considered an artist who displays these personal themes. His song, “Marvin’s Room” from the album Take Care is the perfect example — detailing the struggle in overcoming wanting someone you can’t have. 

On the other end of the spectrum, we see “Bad and Boujee” by Migos and “Rockstar” by Post Malone. Both are college party anthems, yet versatile enough to fit into our playlist that might just have Drake on it. 

Some music that does a good job of hitting both spectrums include A$AP Rocky and Big Sean. A$AP’s song, “A$AP Forever” details both deeply personal history and fears of overdosing in the lifestyle he’s surrounded by. 

Big Sean is similar in his 2017 album, I Decided. His song “Jump Out the Window” begins with: “ I think I’m ready to jump out the window/Your time is the only thing I wish was mine,” depicting a girl he wants, but she can’t seem to escape an abusive relationship. 

Yet the next song on I Decided., “Moves,” is less sentimental and more boastful as he discusses his ability to rise to the top and get women that both identify and supply his needs in the bedroom.

Since we’re in college, it’s likely we have a bit of music from each end of the spectrum on our playlists. There’s likely a reason for this. Some days we need music to relate to and comfort us, like Drake and many others. And some days we need music that’s  a bit more boastful, like Migos and Post Malone. 

Regardless of musical preference, it’s clear that both types of rap remain popular in this day and age because of their versatility and willingness to open up to their fans. After all, a fair amount of us youngins like to cry while we’re at the club. We may be having fun, but we’re certainly sad about something — people who didn’t message back on Tinder, probably. 

Logan Moore is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you cry while dancing it out to some melodramatic song? Let Logan know by tweeting her at @loganr_moore.