Quarterback Nathan Rourke carries the football down field during Ohio's game against Kent State on Oct. 21. (FILE)

Football: Combatting injuries through camp

Freshman receiver Jerome Buckner laid still on the Peden Stadium turf during last Friday’s practice, his right knee evaluated by Ohio’s training staff as teammates watched. Buckner’s injury labeled him as the third Bobcats receiver to face injury during fall camp.

“It’s a bad feeling to have a guy fighting for you go down,” said receivers coach Dwayne Dixon.

Two days earlier, Dixon watched Darfnell Gouin injure his knee during a 7-on-7 drill. And on the first day of fall camp, receiver Elijah Ball, a projected starter, sustained a season-ending injury. 

That’s why a seems and a half  before Ohio opens its 2018 season against visiting Howard (Sept. 1), the offense is facing its first opponent of the fall: injuries. It may be, in fact, the biggest hurdle for a program selected as the preseason favorite to win the Mid-American Conference title for the first time in 50 years.

“We’ve been very cautious on trying to keep guys healthy,” Dixon said. “That’s one of the things we feel like that’s been a factor in us not achieving some of our (past) aspirations.” 

On gamedays, coach Frank Solich wants Ohio to be a physical, formidable opponent. During camp practices, though, Solich and his coaching staff are teaching players how to practice without inflicting pain. How to focus on tackling techniques without, well, tackling. How to run hard and fast without running over teammates. 

Players are also expected to express how they’re feeling, even though that may conflict with the macho personas often associated with football players. 

"Every player wants to be out here, they don’t want to show any weakness,” starting receiver Andrew Meyer said. “But we are supposed to say something because we’d rather play snaps in a game rather than snaps in camp.”   

Here’s a glimpse into Ohio’s strategy for decreasing and rehabbing injuries. 

THE TECH

NormaTec creates body recovery technology for athletes, including a PULSE leg recovery system. Off the field, Ohio players wear this sleeve to receive a massage throughout their legs, deterring tightness and soreness. 

CUPPING AND SCRAPING 

The training room offers cupping, a form of rehabilitation where a specialist places cups on a subject’s skin, creating suction which helps with pain, inflammation and blood flow. 

The training staff also conducts scraping: a tool is utilized to move toxins out of the body, as well as break up scar tissue and improve circulation in sore areas. 

THE ICE BATH
Most players prefer the ice bath - brutally cold and uncomfortable for the opening minutes.

“You have to get in the tub every day, and it’s cold for 10 minutes,” said defensive lineman and captain Kent Berger. “But it’s worth it.”

Players don’t look forward to jumping in ice baths. But they love the way they feel after they exit.  

“It saves my life.” said Meyer. 

PLAYER ACCOUNTABILITY  

During a recent team meeting, Ohio players were reminded of healthy food options in the dining halls.  They aren’t being force-fed carrots and broccoli, but they realize there are other options than french fries and fro-yo.

Dak Notestine, the director of strength and conditioning, supplied players with crockpot recipes to create after practice.  

BOBCAT REMINDER 

While Ohio coaches don’t have eyes in the dining hall, they do in the training room. 

A new electronic attendance tracker monitors attendance for treatments. It notifies staff what treatment was received and how long players were in attendance. 

Miss a treatment session? You just signed up for a 6 a.m. workout with Notestine.

LIMITED CONTACT 

Ohio’s primary attempt at injury prevention is limited and controlled contact at practice. 

How do players know how much effort to give?

THUD: Lowest form of contact. Nobody hits the turf. Tackles with shoulder pads only. This is often utilized during a walkthrough practice. 

PRE-LIVE: About 80 percent. Go fast but be careful and focus on your form. Used mostly for the younger guys. 

LIVE: Everything goes. Contact is expected; it’s encouraged, if not mandated.

“They have a chance to show us who’s really ready mentally, physically ready to help perform during the season,” Dixon said. “We have to give them an evaluation, so we can access it.”

OHIO’S OFFENSE AT A GLANCE

Injuries to Ohio’s receivers threaten to stifle Ohio’s playmaking. Ball will miss the 2018 season, and Buckner, an electrifying athlete, was expected to challenge for a role as a kickoff and punt returner. 

Papi White leads returning receivers with 36 receptions for 631 yards and three touchdowns. 

Returning offensive starters this fall include quarterback Nathan Rourke who last season passed for 2,203 yards and 17 touchdowns and A.J. Ouellette who rushed for 1,006 yards and seven touchdowns.  

While some injuries can be prevented with rest, treatment and nutrition, the Bobcats must respond to in-season adversity the only way they know how; the same way Dixon responded to Buckner’s injury.

By sending out the next man. 

@JL_Kirven

jk810916@ohio.edu