A group of friends walk past bars on Court Street. (FILE)

Weekender Briefs: Enjoy an authentic New Orleans-style crab dinner and check out these bar deals

Correction appended.

Friday

The Athens Harvest Festival is happening all weekend, starting Friday afternoon at Lake Snowden. It will feature local bluegrass acts, vendors and food, along with a fireworks display Sunday night.

Admission: Up to $30

The Summer Music Series at 6 p.m. at the Dairy Barn Arts Center. The Dairy Barn will finish its summer series of concerts, food and drink with performances by the group Pahl, Carow and Nadeau.

Admission: Free

Free Film Night at 8 p.m. at Donkey Coffee and Espresso. The coffee house will show the movie Chase Trane, a documentary about the jazz musician John Coltrane.

Admission: Free

Saturday

Socialist Coffee Hour at 11 a.m. at Donkey Coffee and Espresso. The International Socialist Organization is hosting the gathering to share thoughts, answer questions and talk about how socialism could be improved and implemented.

Admission: Free

Ohio vs. Howard at 2 p.m. at Peden Stadium. Cheer for the Bobcats as they play their home opener against the Howard University Bison.

Admission: $15; free with student ID

Dwight Twilley with Shilpa Ray, the Blam Blams and Mobile Home at 8 p.m. at the Union Bar and Grill. “American power pop icon” Twilley will take the stage with members of the bands accompanying him in an exciting end-of-summer show.

Admission: $15

In the Pines and Caution Step at 9 p.m. at the Smiling Skull Saloon. The two groups will team up to provide some psychedelic guitar and progressive rock as an outlet for students who might be feeling stressed about the new school year.

Admission: $3

Sunday

Sunday Morning Mountain Bike Ride at 9:45 a.m. at Lake Hope State Park. The Athens Bicycle Club will meet up at Four Points on Long Ridge Road and cycle until noon. It will hold its weekly rides for beginner to intermediate riders until the end of October.

Admission: Free

Vision board-making at 10:30 a.m. at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Athens. Explore your foundations, faith and future through art made with magazines, catalogs, scissors and glue.

Admission: Free

The 2018 New Orleans Crab Boil and Dance Party at 5 p.m. at Eclipse Company Store. The venue will sell authentic New Orleans low country crab and beer to enjoy while dancing to the tunes of three jazz groups.

Admission: $5 cover fee; $23.50 for crab boil

Bar Deals in Athens

Broney’s Alumni Grill - $2 draft pints, $3 Bloody Marys

Cat’s Corner - Sunday “beat the clock,” 2-8 p.m.: beer pitchers start at $2 and go up a dollar every hour; happy hour, 3-6 p.m.: two for $4 beer, $4 wine and $3 double well liquor

Cat’s Eye Saloon - Happy hour weekdays 4-9 p.m.; Friday: PBR glasses start at 40 cents, 5 cent increase every half hour, $4.50 pitchers from 3-9 p.m.

The J Bar - Sunday: $3 shots of Jameson, Jack Daniels and Rumple, $2 Arnold Palmer drinks

Lucky’s Sports Tavern - Happy hour on weekdays, 4 to 9 p.m.: $1 domestic short drafts, $1.75 domestic bottles, $1.75 mixed drinks 

The Over Hang - Friday: $3 F-bomb (Jager and root beer shot); Sunday: $1.50 well rum drinks, $4 domestic beer pitcher

The Pigskin Bar and Grille - Happy hour 7-9 p.m.: $2 domestic beer, $2 well liquor

The Pub - $5 domestic beer aquarium; $12 rainbow shots (8 shots in total)

Red Brick Tavern - ‘Brick Break’ daily, 6 to 9 p.m.: $5 domestic buckets, $1 well rum, $2 well Monster, $3 specialty Monster

Smiling Skull Saloon - Happy hour Fridays, 5-7 p.m.: $2 beer; 50 cents off import beer on Sundays

Tony’s Tavern - Sunday: $1.25 PBR and High Life, $1.75 Hot Nut 

The Union Bar & Grill - Happy hour, 3-8 p.m. daily: 50 cents off all drinks and beers; Sundays: $3 margaritas and Bloody Marys

Movies to see at the Athena Cinema

BlacKkKlansman (rated R) - Friday: 7 p.m.; Saturday: 2:35, 5, 7:20 and 9:30 p.m.; Sunday: 2:35, 5, 7:20 and 9:30 p.m.

Eighth Grade (rated R) - Friday: 5:10 and 9:55 p.m.; Saturday: 2:50, 5:10, 7:35 and 9:55 p.m.; Sunday: 2:50, 5:10, 7:35 and 9:55 p.m.

Sorry to Bother You (rated R) - Friday: 5:15 and 9:45 p.m.; Saturday: 2:45, 5:15, 7:30 and 9:45 p.m.; Sunday: 2:45, 5:15, 7:30 and 9:45 p.m.

@adeichelberger

ae595714@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this report incorrectly stated The Union Bar & Grill's bar deals. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.