Athens WR Joe Eaton runs the ball after a catch, just out of the reach of Vinton defender Lincoln Hayes (#10) on Sept. 21.

Athens Football: Athens looks for win at Logan for first time in 28 years

Ryan Adams can’t remember the last time the Bulldogs won at Logan. 

It was the fall of 1990, the year after Adams, who now coaches the Bulldogs, graduated from high school. 

Athens (4-1, 2-0 Tri-Valley Conference) will look to earn its first win at Logan in 28 years on Friday when it plays the Chieftains. It'll be the first of two straight road games for the Bulldogs.

Logan has dominated Athens throughout the rivalry, no matter the location. Last year, the Bulldogs finally snapped a 14-game losing streak to the Chieftains when the Bulldogs dominated, 21-3. 

Even though history is not on the Bulldogs side, they are favorited. But Logan is better than its schedule portrays it to be. 

Logan only has one victory on its schedule, but Athens would be foolish to underestimate the Chieftains. Logan has had a brutal schedule this season, playing two teams that are undefeated (Dresden Tri-Valley and Sheridan) and taking one-loss Chillicothe to overtime last week. 

Athens has already learned what can happen if it overlooks Logan. The Bulldogs were shocked in 2016 when they were upset on the road by the 1-6 Chieftains, 31-30. 

Adams believes his team knows how dangerous Logan can be. 

“I think that now that we’ve played them for two-consecutive years our players certainly have a better understanding of the rivalry,” Adams said. “Anytime you play a rival, whether it be Nelsonville (York) or Logan, it’s going to be a ballgame.”

If the Bulldogs hope to escape Logan with the win, it could use a fast start like it had last week against Vinton County. Athens scored 28 unanswered points in the first quarter, and the Bobcats had the game secured by halftime. 

Quarterback Clay Davis played a big role in the rout of Vinton County. He was 13 of 21 for 271 yards and four touchdowns. 

If the Bulldogs win against Logan, they'll break the streak and march closer to the playoffs.

@JL_Kirven

Jk810916@ohio.edu