The Dairy Barn Arts Center. (FILE)

Weekender Briefs: Drink beer on top of the Athens Parking Garage; learn the art of improv comedy

Correction appended.

Friday

Pop-Up Studio for the Ohio Pawpaw Festival at 10 a.m. at 5281 Washington Road, Albany. Channel your inner artist and join in the celebration of the 20th Pawpaw Festival by helping organizers make decorations and art for the festival. Continues Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. until Sun., Sept. 16.

Admission: Free

Crafternoon at noon at the Ohio University LGBT Center, Baker 354. Practice some “craftivism” and have fun making hearts for Passion Works and creating two displays for the Office of Multicultural Student Access and Retention and the LGBT Center.

Admission: Free

Fall Fest at 4 p.m. on the top level of the Athens Parking Garage, 7 E. Washington St. The organizers of Ohio Brew Week will bring craft beer, cider food vendors and live music to the top of the parking garage. Proceeds will benefit Honey for the Heart.

Admission: Free

Saturday

Friends of Athens Public Library Book Sale at 9 a.m. at the Athens Public Library, 21 Home St. Support the library by browsing a range of items, including children’s, young adult, romance and holiday books, along with CDs and DVDs. Most books will cost $1 for 3, with new and speciality items starting at $1.

Admission: Free

Bryn Perrott Art Show Opening at 6 p.m. at Jackie O’s Taproom, 25 Campbell St. This artist will kick off a month-long showing of her woodcuts with a craft beer celebration, which will also feature a collection of stickers, pins and prints.

Admission: Free

The Zeroes at 9 p.m. at Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St. The Columbus-based indie rock group will make a stop in Athens during its fall tour around the state.

Admission: $5

Sunday

Cooking Class for Kids at 1 p.m. at Tavolino, 9 N. Shafer St. Teams of one adult and one child can work together to make homemade ravioli filled with the chef’s choice of deliciousness. Participants will make the dough, shape the ravioli and eat the finished product.

Admission: $65 per two-person team

Improv with Yang Miller at 3 p.m. at the Dairy Barn Arts Center, 8000 Dairy Lane. Learn to be the funniest person you know by learning to create a full mini-play based on a single word.

Admission: $30

Little Fish Trivia Night at 5 p.m. at Little Fish Brewing Company, 8675 Armitage Road. Little Fish offers teams to show off their smarts every second Sunday of each month. Each member of the winning team will receive a voucher for a free $4.50 beer.

Admission: Free

Rosh Hashanah dinner and services at 6 p.m. in the Baker Center Theater Lounge. Celebrate the Jewish new year with Hillel at OU with a tasty holiday meal and religious service. 

Admission: Free for students and children; $15 for community members. RSVP to Hillel.

Bar Deals in Athens

Broney’s Alumni Grill - $2 draft pints, $3 Bloody Marys

Cat’s Corner - Sunday “beat the clock” from 2-8 p.m.: beer pitchers start at $2 and go up a dollar every hour; happy hour from 3-6 p.m.: two for $4 beer, $4 wine and $3 double well liquor

Cat’s Eye Saloon - Happy hour, weekdays from 4-9 p.m.: PBR glasses start at 40 cents, 5 cent increase every half-hour; $4.50 pitchers from 3-9 p.m.

The J Bar - Sunday: Jameson, Jack Daniels and Rumple $3 shots, $2 Arnold Palmers 

Lucky’s Sports Tavern - Happy hour, weekdays from 4-9 p.m.: $1 domestic short drafts, $1.75 domestic bottles, $1.75 mixed drinks 

The Over Hang - Friday: $3 F-bombs; Sunday: $1.50 well rum drinks, $4 domestic beer pitcher

The Pigskin Bar and Grille - Happy hour from 7-9 p.m.: $2 domestic beer; $2 well liquor

The Pub - $5 domestic beer aquarium; $12 rainbow shots (8 shots in total)

Red Brick Tavern - ‘Brick Break’ daily from 6-9 p.m.: $5 domestic buckets, $1 well rum, $2 well Monster, $3 specialty Monster

Smiling Skull Saloon -  Happy hour on Fridays from 5-7 p.m.: $2 beer; Sunday: 50 cents off import beer

Tony’s Tavern - Sunday: $1.25 Pabst Blue Ribbon and High Life, $1.75 Hot Nuts 

The Union - Happy hour, 3-8 p.m. daily: 50 cents off all drinks and beers; Sundays: $3 margaritas and Bloody Marys

Movies to see at the Athena Cinema

BlacKkKlansman (rated R): Friday at 5, 7:20 and 9:30 p.m.; Saturday at 2:35, 5, 7:20 and 9:30 p.m; Sunday  at 2:35, 5, 7:20 and 9:30 p.m

Eighth Grade (rated R): Friday at 5:10, 7:35 and 9:55 p.m.; Saturday at 2:50, 5:10, 7:35 and 9:55 p.m.; Sunday at 2:50, 5:10, 7:35 and 9:55 p.m.

Sorry to Bother You (rated R): Friday at 5:15, 7:30 and 9:45 p.m.; Saturday at 2:45, 5:15, 7:30 and 9:45p.m., Sunday at 2:45, 7:30 and 9:45 p.m.

@adeichelberger

ae595714@ohio.edu 

Correction: A previous version of this report incorrectly stated The Union Bar & Grill's bar deals. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.