'Eighth Grade' is the directorial debut from Bo Burnham. (via @boburnham on Instagram)

Film Review: Bo Burnham’s ‘Eighth Grade’ showcases the trials and tribulations of middle school in the 21st century

Eighth grade: a pinnacle time when all that matters to teenagers is fitting in with their classmates and the people around them. Between school, parents and nowadays social media, it can seem, at least in Eighth Grade, that the world is crashing down on you.  

Bo Burnham, stand-up comedian and musician, covers all of this and more in his directorial debut. The film follows Kayla (Elsie Fisher) who is attempting to survive her last week of eighth grade before graduation. Kayla is type-casted as the quiet girl. Though she truly doesn’t speak much, she’s really just your average awkward kid, which is something many people can relate to. With little to no friends and a single dad who just doesn’t understand her, one can’t help but sympathize with Kayla’s situation.

That is exactly why the film is such a stand-out for Burnham. In his directorial debut, he was able to encapsulate his comedic style without damaging the integrity of the story. Burnham shows that he’s capable of tackling bigger issues and topics. He’s versatile, and because he grew up in the digital age, he’s got an advantage of showing what its like to be a middle-schooler in the digital age. 

Throughout Kayla’s many struggles within her last week of class, there’s one constant: her YouTube videos. Whether this was inspired by Burnham’s start on YouTube himself or just the massive use of the platform by middle-schoolers nowadays, it’s used as an outlet for our protagonist. Kayla’s videos are a coping mechanism for what she deals with in her daily life, similar to many real-life vloggers.

Those realistic aspects of Eighth Grade show that it’s a film that doesn’t need sugar coating. There are no cliches or stereotypes necessary to carry the story. Burnham shows the cruel reality of middle school in the 21st century. The girls are catty and self-centered, and the boys (even up through high school) are gross and insufferable. Without romanticizing the ups and downs of middle school, Burnham was able to create a story centered on a down-to-Earth girl, who’s just trying to make by in life. 

Kayla consistently is battling herself in her head, and it would be naive to say that adults don’t do that too. Adults, college students especially, are just as apt to judge themselves and second-guess their lives. 

It seems this is what Burnham was aiming to show with Eighth Grade. This is a film that people of all ages can find something in. One could say it’s universal to a degree. 

From Burnham’s beautifully written screenplay, to his pinpoint camera shots which convey the same level of emotion, it’s a no-brainer that Eighth Grade will be a contender in this years Academy Awards.

Rating: 4/5

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu