Quaterback Nathan Rourke throws a pass to an open reciever during the 48-31 loss to Virginia.

Football Final Thoughts: Against Virginia, a sleepy start and a questionable running game

Saturday wasn’t a banner day for the Bobcats. After one quarter, Ohio trailed 21-7 thanks to a sluggish start and what looked like would be an embarrassing performance shifted to a respectable deficit. 

Still, three one-drive plays resulted in a touchdown. Ohio has allowed 1,197 yards of total offense in two games. Its been unable to run the ball effectively, even when using two redshirt senior running backs. Ohio fell to Virginia 45-31 Saturday at Vanderbilt Stadium, finishing game two of the Bobcats’ nonconference slate and leaving them with question marks. 

“Our team is playing hard. They just have to play smarter and find ways for teams to stop making explosive plays,” coach Frank Solich said.

Final thoughts from Saturday:

Nathan Rourke awakens 

It finally seemed to click for Nathan Rourke. 

He dropped back to pass, felt the pressure, escaped and scrambled for a 70-yard run. The junior quarterback made his first signature play of the year in Saturday’s game, one that gave many a sigh of relief. 

After being benched after three series against Howard, Rourke finished 16 of 31 for 246 yards and two touchdowns against Virginia. He wasn’t as accurate as he was by the end of last season, but against the Cavaliers he showed the potential this season could have for him. 

His ability to run — which helped him land on the Maxwell, O’Brien and Manning watch lists — was seen for the first time. He still hasn’t rushed for a touchdown, which he did 21 times last season. 

At the same time, Solich cited multiple times this offseason Rourke’s arm strength ability. He finished with a 139.5 QB rating Saturday and is completing 46.2 percent of his passes. On the drive that ended with his second touchdown, he lofted a pass to Isiah Cox for the touchdown, a great ball to a wide receiver that can stretch the field, which hasn’t been seen recently. The last notable receiver to have consistency at stretching the field was Sebastian Smith, whom Rourke never took a snap with. 

Isiah Cox.jpeg

Ohio's Isiah Cox hauls in a touchdown in the second quarter of the Bobcats' loss to Virginia at Vanderbilt Stadium on Saturday.

All that meant another day of great signs from No. 12 and the Ohio passing game.

“He made plays, there were some he left out there, but he made a lot of plays,” Solich said. “He was able to ignite a comeback for us.”

What to make of the run game

Solich wasn’t pleased with the run game Saturday, and he wasn’t pleased with it Monday either. 

He described it as a mystery. What’s supposed to be one of the most promising rushing attacks during his time here, consisting the duo of A.J. Ouellette and Maleek Irons, hasn’t panned out over the first two games, and it’s troubling. 

In both games, the Bobcats have had to come from behind, forcing them to put the ball in the air. Solich has said he really likes the core of wideouts he has, but that shouldn’t take away from what he loves to do most: Run the ball. 

On Saturday against Virginia, the duo combined for 75 yards and two touchdowns, both coming from Irons, marking his first touchdown since Nov. 3, 2016. Both net rushing yards sit under 100, and for the Bobcats to be successful the rushing attack is its DNA. 

For the offense to be the juggernaut most expected it to be, the running game needs a solution fast. Solich expects his running backs to average at least four to five yards per carry. 

Ohio averaged 3.9 yards Saturday. 

Trouble in the trenches?

With the concern about the rushing attack, Solich and the coaching staff weren’t slow to look to the offense. He made it pretty clear Monday after having digesting the film:

"It comes back to number one, that we're getting things done up front. They're the same backs, and we've got the same linemen for the most part. It's a little bit of a mystery. We've got to tie it together a little better. We're not an overly complicated offense. We're not winning so many plays when we're running, we're not executing well.”

Ohio returned four starting offensive linemen this season, only replacing its center. The line was supposed to be touted as the best in the Mid-American Conference and new position coach Bart Miller supposedly clicked well with the group. 

But now entering Week 4 of the season, Ohio has struggled to establish a rushing attack and Rourke has been sacked three times. The Bobcats’ fumble on the second play from scrimmage Saturday was because of an offensive line collapse. 

Joe Lowery, Joe Anderson and Durrell Wood, the three redshirt senior leaders of the group, found some rhythm as the game went on against the Cavaliers. Ohio started to move the ball on the ground, but not enough to bump the average up to four yards. 

Pass protections is a plus, but in Solich’s offense it’s most effective when the running game is established. 

Dissecting the defense

In two games, Ohio has allowed 1,197 total offensive yards. It has been gashed up the middle and passed on without problem. It allowed multiple scores of 70-plus yards Saturday. 

And it’s something the Bobcats aren’t used to. 

“First thing we're going to do is get to be a better technique,” Solich said. “Some of the things happening are just bad technique. Then, making sure that we're assignment oriented and not having a guy bust here or there that causes a big and explosive gain when nine or ten guys are playing really well and one guy is not. It's getting everyone on the same page and making sure that every time the ball snaps we're confident in what we're doing.”

OU Football vs Virginia -1.JPG
Kylan Nelson (No.23) goes to make a tackle on Olamide Zaccheaus during the Ohio vs Virginia football game.

In 32 possessions this season, Ohio has allowed 77 points, an average of 2.4 points per possession. It ranks close to last in almost every defensive category in the MAC. Solich knew it would take time to figure out a defense, which lost its entire front seven except for one linebacker. 

But getting gashed on all fronts. It’s not sitting well with anyone and it’s hard to find solutions on the fly. The Bobcats don’t have a problem stopping a team on a regular possession. They find problems not allowing big plays. No matter what though, a touchdown is a touchdown, no matter how fast or slow it comes. 

The game’s biggest play

A competitive game morphed into an out of reach game for Ohio near the end of the fourth quarter. Virginia quarterback Bryce Perkins found Olamide Zaccheaus for a 77-yard touchdown pass with 6:01 left in the game. A 38-28 game turned into a 45-28 game. 

Extra points

• No injury updates were given after the game Saturday or at Monday’s press conference. Freshman wide receiver Jerome Buckner left the game with a shoulder injury. 
  • Javon Hagan returned to the field for Saturday’s game, but the rust of not playing in a game showed. He still finished with nine tackles. 
  • What do the next 2 1/2 months hold for Ohio? That’s truly the big question. The Bobcats could figure out their defense and rushing attack this week, or it could turn into a downward spiral without answers. "There's talent on the team,” Solich said. “They play with a lot of spirit. Love what they're all about in terms of their approach to games. They just need to be getting better in terms of on field stuff that we're doing."

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu