Season five of 'How To Get Away With Murder' premiered Thursday. (via @HowToGetAwayABC on Twitter)

TV Review: Season premiere of 'How To Get Away With Murder' opens with a wedding, proposal and murder

In Thursday’s season premiere of How to Get Away with Murder, the group was once again thrown into a bloody situation right from the start. While the rest of the episode set the tone for the season, it’s clear that only more blood and drama lies ahead. Here are the top five moments from the premiere of How to Get Away with Murder:

Annalise found a new job

Last season, Annalise (Viola Davis) was able to argue and win a case in front of the Supreme Court of the United States. With that under her belt, Annalise set out to find a firm that would hire her. She expressed interest in starting her own firm with Bonnie (Liza Weil) and Frank (Charlie Weber), but realized she first needed funding from a large firm to help fund and re-try the cases that benefited from her Supreme Court win.

After applying at multiple firms, Annalise had her pick of four high-level and high-paying firms. Soon after she heard each firm’s pitch to her, they all suddenly refused to work with her because of her previous incidents with the state bar. In the end, she went to Caplan & Gold, which is where the group got enveloped in drama last season. Caplan & Gold agreed to hire Annalise as well as fund her clinic with students. Annalise also used the money to offer the top-ranking student a year of tuition, which incited another competition and paid homage to the first season.

Asher was cut from the class

Annalise’s new class seemed to be harsher than ever. After cutting half the class on the first day, Annalise challenged the students to present the case they’re most passionate about in thirty seconds. Once finished, Annalise cut half of that group and instructed the remaining students to present the opposite side of their case. All of the Keating 4, plus the new mystery character, Gabriel (Rome Flynn), seemed to do well, but there were only 4 spots remaining. Surprisingly, Annalise cut Asher (Matt McGorry). After class, Asher confronted Annalise and she reprimanded him, saying he has to figure out who he really is and stop playing the role of class clown.

Asher’s fate seems to be up in the air this season as he is newly single and now cut from Annalise’s class. Yet, it seems jarring to audience members that after being so close, Annalise chose to cut Asher over someone she doesn’t even know.

Frank proposed to Laurel

The episode showcased Frank taking on the father role for Laurel’s (Karla Souza) baby. He seemed genuinely concerned about Laurel and the baby’s wellbeing. Laurel appeared to take advantage of that and used him as help for the baby and for sex. Toward the end of the episode, Laurel announced she was going to move out with the baby to live with Connor (Jack Falahee) and Oliver (Conrad Ricamora) in their new home. Frank immediately decided to propose to Laurel, who turned him down. Things have always been rocky with Laurel and Frank and this season will undoubtedly be no different as they navigate this new relationship with each other.

Gabriel was revealed to be Bonnie’s son – maybe

In the season four finale, it was revealed that Bonnie had a child as a result of being sexually assaulted and that the child may still be alive. In this episode, Nate (Billy Brown) decided to investigate further using DNA from Gabriel and Bonnie. After using sex to convince the woman he knew at the clinic to conduct the test (and betraying Annalise), it was revealed that the DNA was a maternal match for the male child. That was done to presumably tell audiences that Gabriel is Bonnie’s son, but this is How to Get Away with Murder, and there is certainly more to their relationship.

Oliver and Connor’s wedding may turn deadly

The episode opened with Annalise dancing happily at Connor and Oliver’s wedding. Her dancing abruptly stopped when she spotted Frank staring at her across the room. When she confronted him, he replied with something that viewers didn’t hear, but prompted Annalise to slap him across the face. Then, an unknown character was shown breathing heavily and dripping blood onto the snow outside of the wedding reception.

At the very end of the episode, it was revealed that Laurel’s baby was crying and lying just a few feet from the person bleeding in the snow. Finally, Bonnie appeared and covered the individual’s mouth and face.

The identity of the individual in the snow and Bonnie’s bizarre action will undoubtedly be a huge mystery for the rest of the season. Annalise, the Keating 4 and now Gabriel will also have an interesting dynamic as they once again compete in a class for Annalise, which ended in the murder of her husband last time. After a shaky fourth season, this season will have a lot to prove if the show hopes to continue, but the season premiere is hopefully setting viewers up for a gripping fifth season.

@huntergraffice4

hg551416@ohio.edu