Hurricane Florence starts its path along the Carolina shores; Ohio football heads to Nashville for game against Virginia

Today is Friday, Sept. 14, 2018. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Hurricane Florence, a category 2 storm with sustained winds of 105 mph, is expected to crawl near or along the Carolina coastline.

Threats associated with the storm include catastrophic flash flooding and major river flooding, life-threatening storm surge and hurricane-force winds. There is also a tornado watch in effect for the area.

President Donald Trump tweeted that the Federal Emergency Management Agency, local first responders and law enforcement officers are all supplied and ready to respond to the effects of the hurricane. 

Hurricane Florence is one of five hurricanes recorded in the 2018 hurricane season. Hurricanes Helene and Isaac are further in the Atlantic Ocean heading west toward the Americas.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

News from The Post:

Team Athens Cycling Club is hosting a bike tour along the gravel roads of Athens. (The Post)

Ohio awarded prizes in the Opioid Science Challenge. (The Post)

Katherine Ziff just released the paperback version of her book Asylum on the Hill. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio football will take on Virginia in a neutral-site game in Nashville Tennessee on Saturday. (The Post)

Ohio volleyball go to Missouri this weekend for three matches in the Hearnes Center at the Mizzou Invitational in Columbia, Missouri. (The Post)

Athens High School Football will travel to Alexander tonight. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Mostly sunny with a high of 87 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

President Donald Trump accused Democrats of inflating the death toll from Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico from last year and denied the government’s assessment that the storm killed more than 3,000 people. (New York Times)

The U.S. government is reconsidering the asylum claims of thousands of immigrant parents and children who were separated at the border. (Reuters)

American Bishops met with Pope Francis on Thursday to discuss the sexual-abuse crisis within the Catholic church. (The Washington Post)

@ShillcockGeorge

gs261815@ohio.edu