Indulge in these healthy options for International Chocolate Day

Thursday is International Chocolate Day, according to Calendar Labs. Every once in a while, a person’s sweet tooth takes over and they can’t help but give in to the temptation of chocolate. And how can they not? Chocolate is a universal answer to every special occasion, breakup or moment of indulgence. 

The occasional craving from time to time isn’t going to hurt anybody, but if you’re feeling guilty about eating chocolate, here are a few ways you can still enjoy one of your favorite sweets by combining it with healthier options:

Fresh fruit

A simple addition you can add to your daily dose of chocolate is fresh fruit. Any piece of fresh fruit should offer natural sugar as well as added nutrients and fiber. Chocolate-covered strawberries and chocolate-dipped frozen bananas are a couple easy and simple combinations, but you could also use cherries, grapes, raspberries or apples. If it’s a fruit, it can probably be eaten with chocolate.

Yogurt

Chocolate can be combined with low-fat yogurt in a variety of different ways. Toppings like granola, graham crackers, coconut shavings and fruit are only a few of the many healthy choices that can accompany chocolate. If a yogurt parfait isn’t exactly your style, mix Nutella with Greek yogurt and use it as a dip with some fresh fruit, low-sugar cookies or crackers.

Cheese

Cheese in small portions is a healthy option to combine with chocolate as well. Cheese provides important nutrients such as protein, probiotics and calcium. It may seem like an odd combination to eat with chocolate, but you can’t knock it until you try it. Some cheeses to eat with milk chocolate are hot habanero and Monterey Jack, while cheeses to try with dark chocolate are sharp and Alpine cheddar. 

Nuts

Chocolate-covered nuts are also a better alternative than eating chocolate on its own. Nuts like almonds help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease while providing vitamin E and magnesium. Walnuts and chocolate are a great combination because both are good for your heart, plus walnuts help reduce depression. Chocolate-covered hazelnuts are also an option. Hazelnuts aid in muscle, skin, bone, joint and digestive health. Nuts are a quick on-the-go healthy snack that you could take advantage of.

@BayleeDeMuth

bd575016@ohio.edu