Avril Lavigne released an emotional track titled "Head Above Water." (via @avrillavigne on Instagram)

New Music Friday: The Band Perry rebrands with electro-pop ‘Coordinates’; Avril Lavigne releases emotional “Head Above Water”

This week’s latest music releases stem from every genre and every part of the music world. Whether it’s Brockhampton’s long-awaited major label debut iridescence, or Greta Van Fleet’s latest single “Lover, Leave,” there’s a little something for everyone this week. There are also some exciting comeback releases for seasoned artists as well as singles for up-and-coming artists. Here’s just a taste of the new music this week:

The band you didn’t know rebranded: 

If you were to ask most people if they knew who The Band Perry is, most people would probably identify with songs such as “If I Die Young” and“Better Dig Two.” However, the once-country sibling trio have rebranded into an experimental, electro-pop outfit. 

Prior to the release of their new Coordinates extended play, the trio deleted all photos on their Instagram. Within five days since the release, the band teased the new EP as well as posted photos that painted the group as angst-filled surfers instead of the previous country-rocker image they sported. 

The EP is produced by legend Rick Rubin, and lead singer Kimberly Perry explained in an interview how they were influenced by Kanye West’s Yeezus, as well as music from Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor. 

The music is obviously different from their old stuff, but it works. Kimberly’s voice fits the electronic style they’re going for, and most likely with the help of Rubin, its beats aren’t lackadaisical or overdone. It’s new, refreshing and something that deserves a listen or two.

The comeback song: 

After being diagnosed with Lyme Disease in 2015, punk queen turned pop-punk diva, Avril Lavigne is back with a new single that’s uplifting but still seems like it would perfectly fit in the 2000s. Lavigne has slightly reimagined her sound since her 2013 self-titled album.

“Head Above Water” is a plea for help. Obviously inspired by her battle with Lyme Disease, Lavigne’s single is emotional. In a statement to People, Lavigne explained how a near-death experience ignited her need to start writing her upcoming album.

“It was like I tapped into something. It was a very spiritual experience. Lyrics flooded through me from that point on,” Lavigne said.  

The ones featured on movie soundtracks:

The week has its fair share of songs released for movie soundtracks. Rock band Weezer released “California Snow,” which is part of the motion picture Spell. The song pretty much sounds like every other Weezer song due to Rivers Cuomo’s very average, but distinct, vocals. The film is produced by Crush Pictures, a company responsible for many Weezer music videos. This, along with the fact that Fall Out Boy’s Patrick Stump is scoring the film perfectly explains for the song by an iconic pop-punk band like Weezer.

Other songs from the film world include Kesha’s “Here Comes The Change” from On The Basis of Sex and Imagine Dragons’ “Zero” from Ralph Breaks the Internet. Kesha’s poignant, harmonica-filled tune is unapologetically political. It’s empowering and the perfect fit for a film centered on the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. 

Imagine Dragons have had major chart success with five songs reaching number one on Billboard’s Top Alternative Songs chart, three of which are featured on the band’s latest album Evolve. Its most recent release, “Zero,” features on the sequel to Disney’s Wreck-It Ralph and the song is bold choice for end-credits song, director Rich Moore said. It’s upbeat, has an important message and fits perfectly in Imagine Dragons’ wheelhouse of music. 

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu