Ohio University Student Senate Vice President Hannah Burke speaks during the body’s meeting on Sept. 26. (FILE)

Student Senate: Two senators appointed to the Minority Affairs Commission

At Ohio University’s Student Senate meeting Wednesday, members passed five resolutions and heard a presentation by Winsome Chunnu-Brayda, the strategic director for diversity and inclusion and multicultural programs and initiatives. 

Student Senate passed its first two resolutions to elect Jalen Dubose and Spencer Van Fleet as senators on the Minority Affairs Commission. 

In his position, Van Fleet said he wants to create a sense of inclusion for students on campus by creating new student programs. 

Student Senate passed the resolution that will fund for Beverly Gooden, an activist and writer on domestic violence, to speak during Love Yourself Week. Love Yourself Week is to raise awareness about domestic violence and that anyone can be a victim, not just women. 

Love Yourself Week is Oct. 21-27 and will be hosted by the Women’s Center. 

The other two resolutions that the Student Senate passed were related to the body’s budget.

One of the resolutions passed was for give away items during the weeks of early voting and Homecoming. The last resolution passed to resolve budget issues for funding a speaker from last week’s meeting. 

During her presentation, Chunnu-Brayda talked about what the Multicultural Center is and why it is important at OU.

“School is a reflection of society, and society is a reflection of school,” Chunnu-Brayda said.

Chunnu-Brayda is the second director of the Multicultural Center, the first being the late Linda R. Daniels. 

She said the Multicultural Center, as well as the Women’s Center, is not just for students of different ethnicities but also for students who are LGBT. 

Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones said there is a new program starting up next week in which students with meal plans who do not use all of their meal swipes in one week can donate up to three meal swipes. The donated meal swipes will go to students in need. 

@SusieGr54264615

sg706817@ohio.edu