Liping Yu buys green peppers from Bill Smith at the Athens Farmers Market. (FILE)

Weekender Briefs: Take a free yoga class; sample tea from around the world

Friday

“The Athens Asylum: 150 Year of A Healing Landscape” Exhibit is an ongoing art exhibit on display at the Southeast Ohio History Center, 24 W. State St., all week from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. until Dec. 29. Visitors can learn about the people who stayed at The Ridges and some of the events that occurred there. Admission: $7 for adults; $5 for seniors and children ages 12-18; free for children under 12.

Drum and Music Jam at 8 p.m. at ARTS/West, 132 W. State St. It's open to anyone who wants to drum, dance or enjoy the environment. People are welcome to bring and play all acoustic instruments. The event is B.Y.O.B. and IDs are required, but the music is open to everyone. Admission: Free, but donations of $5 to $10 are suggested.

FALLOUTFEST at 8 p.m. at the Union Bar and Grill, 18 W. Union St. Enjoy live music all weekend from several bands, including Diet Cig, Guerilla Toss and Crooks on Tape. Admission: $15

Saturday

Athens Farmers Market at 9 a.m. in the 1000 E. State St. parking lot. The event features the products of local farmers, bakers, cheese makers and other food-based vendors. People can enjoy and purchase the fresh foods that are grown or produced in Athens. Admission: Free

Third Annual Fall 5K Fun Run/Walk at 9 a.m. beginning at Peden Stadium. Habitat for Humanity of the Southeast Ohio Faith Build Coalition will be holding the event, and it will take place along the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway. Prizes will be awarded, and participants will receive t-shirts. Admission: $25; $10 for children 13 and under 

Open House and Flights of Tea at 11:30 a.m. at the Herbal Sage Tea Company at 105 Butternut Ave. in Pomeroy. Enjoy a free open house, or with the purchase of a tea ticket when you walk in, people can experience four different types of tea from different locations. Admission: Free for open house, optional fee for tea ticket

Oktoberfest at noon at Devil’s Kettle Brewing, 97 Columbus Road. This is the fourth Oktoberfest celebration, and it is quickly becoming an autumn classic. There will be German-style food, provided by Pork and Pickles, and German-style drinks, including a new lager called Oktoberbreast. Ten percent of sales will be donated to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Admission: Free

Sunday

Free Yoga Day beginning at 8 a.m. at Athens Yoga, 77 ½ E. State St. Athens Yoga is celebrating its second anniversary by offering free classes for all levels. Admission: Free

Rebel Without a Cause at 7 p.m. at the Athena Grand, 1008 E. State St. Relive the James Dean classic about being the new kid in town and dealing with teenage angst and frustration. Admission: $12.50Bar deals in Athens

Bar deals in Athens

Broney’s Alumni Grill - $2 draft pints; $3 Bloody Mary

Cat’s Corner - Sunday “beat the clock,” 2-8 p.m.: beer pitchers start at $2 and go up a dollar every hour; happy hour, 3-6 p.m.: two for $4 beer, $4 wine and $3 double well liquor

Cat’s Eye Saloon - Happy hour, weekdays 4-9 p.m.: Friday progressives PBR glasses start at 40 cents, 5 cent increase every half; $4.50 pitchers from 3-9 p.m.

The J Bar - Sunday: Jameson, Jack Daniels and Rumple $3 per shot, $2 Arnold Palmer drinks 

Lucky’s Sports Tavern - Happy hour on weekdays, 4-9 p.m.: $1 domestic short drafts, $1.75 domestic bottles, $1.75 mixed drinks 

The Over Hang - Sunday: $1.50 well rum drinks, $4 domestic beer pitcher; Friday: $3 F-bomb (Jager and root beer shot)

The Pigskin Bar and Grille - Happy hour 7-9 p.m.: $2 domestic beer; $2 well liquor

The Pub - $5 domestic beer aquarium; $12 rainbow shots (8 shots in total)

Red Brick Tavern - ‘Brick Break’ daily, 6 to 9 p.m.: $5 domestic buckets, $1 well rum, $2 well Monster, $3 specialty Monster

Smiling Skull Saloon - 50 cents off import beer on Sundays; happy hour Fridays, 5-7 p.m., $2 beer

Tony’s Tavern - Sunday: $1.25 Pabst Blue Ribbon and High Life, $1.75 Hot Nut 

The Union Bar & Grill - Happy hour, 3-8 p.m. daily: 50 cents off all drinks and beers; Sundays: $3 margaritas and Bloody Marys

Movies to see at the Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St.

BlacKkKlansman (rated R): Friday, 5 and 9:30 p.m.; Saturday, 2:35, 7:10 and 9:30 p.m.; Sunday, 2:35, 7:10 and 9:30 p.m.

Fahrenheit 11/9 (rated R): Friday, 5:05, 7:35 and 9:40 p.m.; Saturday, 2:40, 5:05, 7:35 and 9:40 p.m.; Sunday, 2:40, 5:05, 7:35 and 9:40 p.m.

The Miseducation of Cameron Post (rated R): Friday, 7:40 p.m.; Saturday, 5:15 p.m.; Sunday, 5:15 p.m.

The Wife (rated R): Friday, 5:10, 7:30 and 10 p.m.; Saturday, 2:50, 5:10, 7:30 and 10 p.m.; Sunday, 2:50, 5:10, 7:30 and 10 p.m.

@AliceDemith

ad441517@ohio.edu