The crowd watches as Bobby Booshay performs on the Slip n Fly Fest Stage during the Athens Halloween Block Party on Oct. 28, 2017. (provided via Kevin Pan for the Athens Block Party)

Weekender Briefs: Dance on Court Street at the annual Halloween Block Party; participate in other spooky celebrations

Friday

DJ Barticus Y2K Millennium Dance Party at 9 p.m. at The Union Bar and Grill, 18 W. Union St. DJ Barticus is at it again, folks. If you’re a millennial and you’re looking for something to hype you up before the block party this weekend, this event is for you. Rock out with your socks out to some classic 2000s jams. Costumes are encouraged.

Admission: $5

A Nightmare on State Street at 10 p.m. at Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St. Solve the equation: dadARM plus Largemouth Brass Band minus Freddy Krueger trying to kill you in your sleep equals A Nightmare on State Street. Come to Casa and listen to the sweet sounds of dadARM and the Largemouth Brass Band to get hyped for the block party Saturday.

Admission: $5    

Saturday

Athens Halloween Block Party at 6 p.m. on Court Street. Beginning with the Honey for the Heart Halloween parade at 6 p.m., thousands of costumed hooligans will gather from all around Ohio for Athens annual Halloween Block Party on Court Street. Arguably the only event that even matters this weekend, it’ll be hard to miss. Just remember: spook responsibly.

Admission: Free

Honey for the Heart Ball at 7 p.m. at Central Venue, 29 E. Carpenter St. Crazy Halloween block parties not your thing? Go to the Honey for the Heart Ball at Central Venue instead. With music provided by Athens’ own The Wild Honeybees, the folks over at Central Venue are offering an equally fun but less hectic experience for the people of Athens this Halloween.

Admission: Free

Tangled Roots/Prontoh at 9 p.m at Casa Nueva. Tangled Roots and Prontoh return to Casa to jam out during this year’s Halloween Block Party. These two bands’ funky tunes are sure to make for great show and a nice little escape from the insanity that is sure to be ensuing outside.

Admission: $3

Sunday

Kids Halloween Party at 2 p.m. at Little Fish Brewing Company, 8675 Armitage Road. Parents had their fun when they hired a babysitter and cut loose at the block party Saturday. Now it’s time to get back to the real world and let the kids have fun. This Halloween party at Little Fish with music from OYO is the perfect event to keep those sticky-fingered little monsters satisfied.

Admission: Free

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde at 5:30 p.m. at the Southeast Ohio History Center, 24 W. State St. Come see professional organist Dennis James perform the score of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde over the 1920 silent film. The event will also include a social hour and a silent auction before the show. 

Admission: $50 for members; $60 for non-members   

Movie Times at the Athena Cinema, 20 S Court St.

Colette (rated R): Friday, 7:20 and 9:30 p.m.; Saturday, 2:45 p.m.; Sunday, 2:45, 7:20 and 9:30 p.m.

Free Solo (rated PG-13): Friday, 5:10, 7:30 and 9:40 p.m.; Saturday, 2:50 and 5:10 p.m.; Sunday, 2:50, 5:10, 7:30 and 9:40 p.m.

Tea With the Dames (not rated): Friday, 5:05 p.m.; Saturday, 5:05 p.m.; Sunday, 5:05 p.m.

The Old Man and the Gun (rated PG-13): Friday, 5:15, 7:25 and 9:35 p.m.; Saturday, 2:55 and 5:15 p.m.; Sunday, 2:55, 5:15, 7:25 and 9:35 p.m.

@morris_wein

mw774315@ohio.edu