New Music Friday: John Carpenter scares again with new ‘Halloween’ score; Queen rock with ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ soundtrack

With the chilly season in full force and the school semester feeling like it’s never going to end, music and films are great sources of escapism. Arguably one of the best parts about some films are their accompanying soundtracks and scores. Soundtracks allow listeners the possibility to think back to the first time they saw a film or maybe they preface a movie someone is dying to see. Buckle up because the latest soundtracks may scare you, relax you or make you think you can sing like the late, great Freddie Mercury. Here are the latest soundtracks and scores you should be listening to:

Michael Myers makes his return

John Carpenter is no stranger to making nightmare fueling scores, and well, he’s done it again. With the release of 2018’s Halloween, fans of a new generation are able to experience a haunting score by the legend. Carpenter’s original 1978 Halloween score is widely regarded as the best horror flick score to date, and with the reboot of the franchise, he’s able to add to his Michael Myers repertoire.   

With the help of his son Cody and previous Carpenter collaborator Daniel Davies, Carpenter’s 2018 score is haunting. Everything from the trademark theme song to even referring to Michael Myers as “The Shape” in track titles is bone-chilling. Carpenter lays it on heavy with synths, piano and punishing electronic beats that mimic the mood of the scene. If stress is high in a scene, Carpenter relays that with the score and leaves audiences just a bit more scared every time. It’s haunting, scary and everything one needs right before Halloween.  

Let’s travel back to the ’90s

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are no strangers to film scoring. The Nine Inch Nails members have created music for Gone Girl, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and they even won an Academy Award for their The Social Network score. Lately the duo have created music for Jonah Hill’s directorial debut Mid90s. Shot with a 16 mm texture and a 4:3 frame, the film feels every bit homemade documentary meets family video.

With the four-track long original music, Reznor and Ross have induced minimalistic piano tracks that illustrate the overall melancholic, relaxed vibe to the film. With a film that obviously Hill’s ode to the 1990s, it would be a no-brainer to have ‘90s rock gods like Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross to score the film. 

Queen will rock you with this soundtrack

If you didn’t already known it, Bryan Singer’s Bohemian Rhapsody is 100 percent Oscar bait. In fact, Rami Malek is already being praised for his transformative role as Freddie Mercury. Just two weeks prior to the release of the film, the release of the official soundtrack allows fans to remember just how influential and iconic Queen is – as if anyone could forget. 

There’s recordings from Queen’s one-of-a-kind Live Aid performance, recreations of songs and even an arrangement of the 20th Century Fox theme. It’s everything fans need to preface a film about one of the best rock bands ever. 

A fun song for what seems like a fun film

Wrapping up the film scores, resident hip-hop artists Post Malone and Swae Lee give audiences the first taste of the Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse soundtrack. “Sunflower” is expertly catchy — something Post Malone is quite good at — and will probably get its fair share of radio play. Mixing dreamy pop with some old school hip-hop beats, the pair have made a fun song that encapsulates the vibe the movie has, or at least the trailer gives off. The animated Spiderman addition comes to theaters December 14. 

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu