Football: Ohio vs. Northern Illinois gameday guide

It’s the biggest cliché in sports writing: the date circled on the calendar. 

But Saturday at Huskie Stadium, Ohio will have its first true test of Mid-American Conference play. Sure, last week’s win against Kent State took the whole game. But for the Bobcats, who were picked to win the MAC East and the championship, a matchup against MAC West favorite Northern Illinois has been circled since camp started in August. 

For some Bobcat fans, the 2-2 nonconference start wasn't convincing. But that all goes out the window if Ohio’s able to start conference play off 2-0, which would put the Bkb in a great position make a run to Detroit. 

Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. and can be watched on ESPN+

Below you’ll find a guide to gameday, with how to follow along, the depth charts, the injury report, who has the edge, a reading guide and predictions. 

Following along

How to watch: Beginning this year, Ohio and the MAC will have a large presence on ESPN+, as many games will be carried exclusively on the new direct-to-consumer streaming platform. 

Ohio continues its ESPN+ schedule Saturday at Kent State. Shawn Kenney and Al Groh will have the call. Fans can receive a free one month trial of the service and then subscribe to ESPN+ for $4.99 a month (or $49.99 per year) on ESPN.com or with the ESPN app.

How to listen: The game can be heard on the Ohio IMG Sports Network — Russ Eisenstein and Rob Cornelius will be behind the mic. The broadcasts are available online through OhioBobcats.com and TuneIn.com/OhioBobcats

How to find stats: https://niuhuskies.com/sidearmstats/football/summary

Depth charts

football UMass.png

football UMass2.png

Injury report

Players in italics are starters.

Out: WR Elijah Ball (knee), OL Cole Irland (knee), OL Adam Notestine (shoulder), DL Amir Miller (knee), TE Noah Hoffman (undisclosed), CB Justin Birchette (undisclosed), CB Jalen Fox (leg), OL Marques Grimes (undisclosed), Tyler Tupa (leg). 

Questionable: RB Julian Ross (undisclosed), Juan Watkins (undisclosed)

Probable: QB Nathan Rourke, RB Maleek Irons, OL Joe Lowery, OL Nick Sink. 

Reading guide

The Edge

When Ohio Runs...

Led by Nathan Rourke, A.J. Ouellette and Maleek Irons, the Bobcats average 204.4 yards per game on the ground as a team. They were able to run all over UMass a couple weeks ago, but struggled on the ground against Kent State without Irons. They’ll look to get back on track against the Huskies.

But that won’t be easy. Ohio offensive coordinator Tim Albin called NIU’s defense “the best we’ve played since Tennessee (in 2016).” That’s some high praise. The Huskies play up to eight guys along the defensive line. They get after it.

Edge: NIU

When Ohio Passes…

Rourke is the definition of a dual-threat quarterback. He’s found a rhythm with receivers Papi White, Cam Odom and Andrew Meyer. Those three have the majority of Ohio’s yards through the air this season. Rourke began his MAC Player of the Year campaign last week with a stellar game against Kent State. 

NIU averages allowing 229.8 pass yards per game, and the Huskies have three interceptions this season, along with their pass rush that can get after the quarterback. Defensive end Sutton Smith was a 2017 consensus All-American with 14 sacks a year ago. This season, he already has five.

Edge: Draw

When Northern Illinois runs...

The Huskies offense as a whole has struggled to find its footing. They average just 144.3 yards per game on the ground. Leading rusher Tre Harbison has 422 yards through six games.

Ohio’s run defense has been a work in progress; the Bobcats are replacing most of their front seven from a season ago. They’re showing signs of improvement, and they’re allowing just 145.2 yards per game in the run game.

Edge: Ohio

When Northern Illinois Passes...

Marcus Childers has struggled through the air for the Huskies. Six games into the season, He only has 804 passing yards and eight touchdowns. Childers’ leading receiver, D.J. Brown, has 32 catches for 299 yards, so Ohio’s secondary will have to keep track of him.

The Bobcats’ back end hasn’t lived up to its preseason billing. Ohio was expected to have the best secondary in the MAC. But Ohio has been torched through the air this season, and in particular, the first quarter. They gave up big passing plays to Howard, Virginia, UMass and Kent State early in those games, so the Bobcats will look to start strong defensively.

Edge: Ohio

Special Teams

The Bobcats will have the edge on special teams in every game they play this season. Punter Michael Farkas and kicker Louie Zervos are the strongest duo in the MAC. 

NIU’s special teams are strong, though. Punter Matt Ference averages 40.4 yards per punt, while kicker Andrew Gantz is 6-of-9 on field goal attempts this season.

Edge: Ohio

Predictions

Spencer: I think this game is going to be an absolute slug fest. Points will be at a premium, and turnovers will determine the outcome. Northern Illinois’ offense has been shaky. The Bobcats can gain some defensive confidence from the Huskies’ lackluster offense. I think Ohio wins the turnover battle 3-1, and I think Ohio walks out of DeKalb with a good MAC win. The Bobcats will win, 20-13.

Pete: A win would push Ohio’s winning streak to three. NIU has struggled to put points on the board this season, but the Ohio defense hasn’t truly proven it can shut down an offense. If the Bobcats show some stifling defense and the offense continues to be explosive, it should be a good day for them. Tim Albin said NIU’s defense is the best Ohio’s seen since Tennessee, but that Volunteer offense was a lot more explosive than the Huskies. Ohio wins, 28-17. 

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu