Season three of ‘Riverdale’ premieres Oct. 10. (Photo via @thecwriverdale on Instagram)

TV Recap: Here’s what you need to know for ‘Riverdale’ season 3

A lot happened during season two of Riverdale. From the Black Hood’s identity reveal to the new mayor election in Riverdale, here are the biggest events to know for Wednesday’s season three premiere: 

Hiram Lodge is back in town with a plan

Hiram’s (Mark Consuelos) prison stay was shorter than expected and he arrived back in Riverdale with many plans to expand his empire. He began to buy properties throughout Riverdale and the Southside, which concerned Veronica (Camila Mendes). Hiram’s plan to create SoDale, a massive commercial space in the Southside, irks the community. It was later revealed he had another, more extreme plan for that area of town: a private, for-profit prison that would stand on the grounds of Southside High.

Southside Serpents come to Riverdale High 

After Southside High was shut down, the Serpents moved to Riverdale High which caused rifts between many of the students and faculty. The students started blaming each other for the arising problems and starting fights. The Serpents were ordered to not wear their jackets to school which caused a huge problem. It was clear the Serpents weren’t going back to Southside High anytime soon.

Alice Cooper and FP Jones have history

It was revealed Alice (Madchen Amick) had a long-lost son she gave up in high school. It was also revealed the person posing as her son, Chic (Hart Denton), was a complete imposter. Chic met the real son of Alice, Charles, when they moved in together, but Chic killed Charles after an argument. After coaxing the truth out of him, Alice revealed to FP (Skeet Ulrich) she had his child.

Cheryl is surrounded by mystery

After her father killed himself, there was a dramatic reading of his will where Cheryl’s (Madelaine Petsch) Uncle Claudius (Barclay Hope) showed up. Cheryl began to be suspicious of her mother (Nathalie Boltt) and uncle and was convinced they were out to get her after Nana Rose (Barbara Wallace) mysteriously fell down the stairs. Later, Cheryl was thrown to the Sisters of Quiet Mercy to start conversion therapy for being gay, which her mother knew of all along. Cheryl was convinced her mother and uncle plotted locking her up because she knew about her grandma’s accident. After being rescued by her girlfriend, Toni Topaz (Vanessa Morgan), Cheryl plans her revenge on her mother and gets emancipated.

The identity of the Black Hood is revealed

One of the main antagonists of the second season, the Black Hood, was revealed to be Hal Cooper (Lochlyn Munro). He revealed to Betty (Lili Reinhart) and Alice he became the Black Hood to rid the town of sinners in a cryptic way of showing them home movies. He also revealed he wasn’t the first Black Hood — his grandfather sought to rid the town of sin as well. When Betty visited her dad while locked-up, Hal said they were similar and she would follow in his footsteps, making Betty angry and upset. 

Hermione Lodge is the new mayor

Hermione (Marisol Nichols) almost becomes a pawn for Hiram in his game of buying up all of the power in town. In a tight race, she narrowly beat out Fred Andrews (Luke Perry) for town mayor, which would allow her to make big decisions that would help Hiram’s business, Lodge Industries Inc. Hermione keeps a watchful eye out for Veronica, though. She helped Veronica get money her father weaseled out of her account as well as providing Veronica with leverage against her dad. 

Jughead is the new Serpent King

After going to war multiple times for the Serpents and leading the younger generation of the gang, Jughead (Cole Sprouse) is made to be the new Serpent King, which his dad, FP, handed down to him. FP revealed at a Serpent meeting he was officially retiring from the gang and after seeing Jughead nearly die for the gang, he deserves to be the new leader. As leader, Jughead’s first action was to make Cheryl a part of the Serpents after all she had done to help them throughout the latter part of the season. Jughead also asked Betty if she wanted to be the Serpent Queen to his Serpent King, basically asking her to join the gang. 

Hiram and Archie turn on each other

Hiram and Archie (K.J. Apa) have a complex relationship throughout most of the season. After being released from prison, Hiram welcomes Archie into the Lodge family. Archie quickly starts to do the bidding for the mobster as well as trying to track down the Black Hood to get revenge. Archie realized later in the season Hiram took advantage of him and confronts him, saying he knows all of his secrets. In retaliation of the threat, Hiram had Archie arrested for a murder one of Hiram’s men committed.

Riverdale’s season three premiere airs Wednesday at 8 p.m. on The CW.

@jess_umbarger 

ju992415@ohio.edu