In Sunday’s episode of ‘Doctor Who,‘ the characters are developed and given some energy. (via @bbcdoctorwho on Twitter)

TV Review: The Doctor’s journey through shipping company Kerblam is a blast

“Kerblam!” is an explosive and fun episode title for Doctor Who, and the rest of Sunday’s episode perfectly reflects that feeling. Not only does first-time guest writer Pete McTighe create a riveting mystery with some of the most painfully endearing guest characters to date, but a buoyant energy flows through every character, including the main cast.

The Doctor (Jodie Whittaker) herself is among the most affected by this, with her already excited attitude turned up not just to 11 (although there is a cheeky nod to that version’s favorite headgear), but to 13. But Graham (Bradley Walsh), Ryan (Tosin Cole) and yes, even Yaz (Mandip Gill) nearly match that energy. Each character uses their improved experience to take initiative themselves and get to the bottom of this case.

And what a case it is. Kerblam is a sinister take on shipping companies like Amazon and is set in the far future on an alien moon. Due to extreme backlash, the company is required by law to have 10 percent of all staff be “organics” or real people. The rest are manned by automated humanoid robots, with a permanent sinister smile and chilling blue eyes. 

The Doctor and team TARDIS become temporary employees after receiving a package from the company with a call for help contained inside. What ensues is both riveting and hilarious journey from Kerblam’s upper management to its deepest depths, with enough new discoveries and twists to keep the energetic pace throughout the episode.

Segun Akinola’s musical score for every episode of season 11 has been phenomenal, and the music for “Kerblam!” matches the same playful energy of the episode, almost sounding like it’s out of a futuristic heist movie.

Though the automated Kerblam employees might be a bit sinister, the five of Kerblam’s 10,000 living employees shown are among the most lovable characters yet for season 11. Kira Arlo (Claudia Jessie) and Charlie Duffy (Leo Flanagan) are in an awkward yet sweet romance. The warm yet easily flustered manager of “organics,” Judy Maddox (Julie Hesmondhalgh) and the cold and short-tempered boss Jarva Slade (Callum Dixon), round out the cast.

More than perhaps ever before, Doctor Who not only fully develops its characters, but each world those characters step into from the TARDIS — be it in the past, present or future. Though that might be at the expense of deeper overarching plots, it makes each individual episode far richer than previous seasons. “Kerblam!” is yet another deep look at a dark future, but also shows the power of positivity and the desire to drive humanity to do better.

Doctor Who airs at 8 p.m. on BBC America.

@JosephStanichar

js080117@ohio.edu