‘Doctor Who’ once again brought history to the forefront during Sunday’s episode. (Photo via @bbcdoctorwho on Twitter)

TV Review: 'Doctor Who' takes a slower, contemplative tone in Sunday’s episode

Episode six, “Demons of the Punjab,” lacks a lot of what makes a typical episode of Doctor Who. Once the dust has settled, there isn’t much for the Doctor (Jodie Whittaker) or Team TARDIS to do. Instead, the episode sets an unusually slow pace, taking lots of time to contemplate family, heritage, love and loss, while also throwing in a history lesson. Although “Demons of the Punjab” breaks away from what Whovians might be used to, the series is richer for it.

The episode is unquestionably centered around Yaz (Mandip Gill), who was the one companion most in need of deeper characterization. Not all of the problems with Yaz as a character are instantly solved, but future episodes could draw new depth now that we know more about her and her family.

For many parts of the episode, however, not even Yaz is at the forefront of the plot. The story centers around the marriage of Umbreen (Anita Suman), Yaz’s grandmother, and Prem (Shane Zaza). Umbreen is Muslim while Prem is Hindu, which creates conflict between some members of their families similar to Romeo and Juliet. Much like the play, the family is beset by tragedy, with some truly heartbreaking moments.

This is heightened by the Partition of India coming into effect on the very same day, which historically led to millions of deaths and millions more to be displaced. The most pertinent details of the partition are clearly shared within the episode, with guest writer Vinay Patel not assuming the audience knows anything about the historical event going in.

The “Demons” described in the title are, of course, a new alien race, with a terrifying design fitting their description. At the same time, there is a certain beauty to the grace of their design, mannerisms and spacecraft that brings their culture to life.

The music for every episode Doctor Who’s new season has been phenomenal, but tonight’s in particular is especially powerful. Using traditional instrumentation and vocals from Indian culture, composer Segun Akinola brings 1947 India to life with his music.

Since its reboot in 2005, Doctor Who has usually chosen historical settings to serve as a backdrop to its sci-fi action. However, both historical episodes of season 11 have brought the history to the forefront, retelling key moments while using the sci-fi genre to explore history further, not to deviate from it.

Doctor Who airs Sundays at 8 p.m. on BBC America.

@JosephStanichar

js080117@ohio.edu