Football: Ohio vs. Miami gameday guide

Coach Frank Solich has coached in the “Battle of the Bricks” for 14 years. He’s 11-2 and has won the last four. He won’t admit it, but there’s no doubt he’s dominated this rivalry with Miami since he took over in 2005. 

What he hasn’t conquered is winning a Mid-American Conference Championship, and all of a sudden that goal is becoming closer to reality. A win in the 2018 edition of the “Battle of the Bricks” would setup a MAC East showdown next week at Peden Stadium against Buffalo. 

Before that can happen, Ohio will have to extend its win streak against the RedHawks to five. Yet again, it’s win or go home for the Bobcats. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m. in Oxford at Yager Stadium, and the game can be watched on ESPNU. 

Below is a guide to gameday with how to follow along, depth charts, who has the edge, an opponent breakdown and our predictions.

Follow along

How to watch: Wednesday’s game marks Ohio’s third midweek MACtion game — its second on an ESPN network — this season. It can be seen on ESPNU or online here. Matt Barrie and Rocky Boiman will have the call.

How to listen: The game can be heard on the Ohio IMG Sports Network — as always, Russ Eisenstein and Rob Cornelius will be behind the mic. The broadcasts are available online through OhioBobcats.com and TuneIn.com/OhioBobcats

How to find stats: Click here for stats. 

Opponent breakdown

All-time series: Miami leads 52-40-2

Last time they played: The Bobcats earned a 45-28 win on Oct. 31, 2017, at Peden Stadium. Nathan Rourke was dominant, completing 21 of his 33 pass attempts for 294 yards and three touchdowns. Rourke also added 54 rushing yards and three rushing touchdowns to set a career high with six total touchdowns. 

Miami report: This winter, Chuck Martin signed a contract extension through 2020. Still, in his fifth season as coach of the RedHawks, he’s never beat Ohio. 

Quarterback Gus Ragland has thrown for 2,082 yards and 15 touchdowns this season. He didn’t play in last season’s game due to injury. He’s reinvigorated a Miami offense that relied heavily on running back Kenny Young, but this season, its been able to balance the two threats.

Defensively, Miami’s defense is similar to Ohio’s. A middle of the pack MAC defense, the RedHawks allow 367.7 total yards per game, 151.1 on the ground.   

How Ohio wins: Ohio’s on a roll and nobody out there is denying it. The Bobcats have rose in all the national top 130 polls. Some say Ohio vs. Buffalo is the MAC game of the season next week. Miami will have to throw in a new wrinkle on defense to confuse the Bobcats, but that won’t stop an offense that’s outscored opponents 160-42 in its last three games.  

Player to watch: Senior quarterback Gus Ragland

The senior wasn’t able to play last season, and he’ll do everything he can to end his career in the “Battle of the Bricks” on a high note. He’s only thrown three interceptions, too. 

Depth charts

Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 10.00.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 10.00.30 PM.png

The edge

When Ohio has the ball: Nathan Rourke is playing as well as he has at any point of his Ohio football career. He and the Ohio offense have put up 49 points or more in three consecutive games. The Bobcats have been scoring at will — and Rourke hasn’t played in a fourth quarter since Oct. 13. 

Edge: Ohio

When Miami has the ball: The RedHawks are led by quarterback Gus Ragland and running back Kenny Young. But Ohio’s defense has been one of the best in the MAC since conference play began, and the Bobcats will look to continue to force turnovers. Ohio’s secondary, which struggled mightily early in the season, is hitting stride and shutting down opposing quarterbacks.

Edge: Draw

Predictions

Pete: When we started to cover Ohio at the beginning of the season, I thought it had the potential to do something special. Then the start of the season was a disappointment, with close losses and bad performances. Now, though, it seems like we’re watching a new season unfold. Ohio’s been close to unstoppable the last three games, and I don’t see a road block until next week’s showdown with Buffalo. Ohio cruises, 45-28, just like last season. 

Spencer: This is the game that shows us whether Ohio is ready to compete with Buffalo for the MAC East. I think the Bobcats will answer with a resounding yes. Frank Solich knows how to coach against Miami, and there’s no reason to think this Ohio team won’t continue its roll. I think Ohio wins 38-20 behind a big day from the offense and a trio of turnovers.

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu