The Convo on Ohio University's campus houses the athletic department. (FILE) 

Three OU residence halls to receive upgrades

Washington Hall, Bromley Hall and The Convo’s residence will all receive renovations in the coming year.

The $5.7 million upgrades on Washington Hall began the first week of May and are expected to be completed in August 2019, Greg Robertson, associate vice president for architecture, design and construction, said. 

Washington Hall is currently vacant to allow construction to continue without interrupting students.

“Renovations include replacement of heat piping, plumbing, and complete restroom renovations throughout the building,” Robertson said in an email.

Construction is also expected to start on Bromley Hall at the end of December, despite students currently living there, and it is expected to last until the end of summer 2019.   

“Care will be taken to minimize impacts of the work on the residents in Bromley Hall,” Robertson said in an email.

The Bromley Hall project includes replacing mechanical and electrical systems. Most of the $7.5 million will be used to upgrade the basement of the building, where the laundry room is located.

Kirsten Dilger, a junior studying history, said the basement is mostly not finished and has a lot of wires on the ceiling. She said she is not concerned with the renovations being disruptive to students.

“It always feels like someone is working on campus,” Digler said.

Renovations made to the Convocation Center are planned for the summers of 2019 and 2020. Construction will begin the first week of May 2019 and will end the first week of August 2020. It is scheduled like this so that it will not interfere with students.

The $3.5 million upgrades are going towards replacing the student bathrooms that are on the third floor of The Convo.

Once the renovations of these residence halls are completed, the cost of living will not be increased, said Pete Trentacoste, the executive director of Housing and Residence Life. This is because not everything will be renovated, so the minor changes made will not consider the buildings “renovated halls.”

“There will be some work done with students in the building, but it will be done with the intent to not disturb (them),” Robertson said.  “The expectation is that we will be able to conduct the projects without really impacting any of the residents, and they will have a better facility when they are done.”

@ianmck9

im581017@ohio.edu