Thursday’s episode of ‘The Good Place’ marked the season three midseason finale. (Photo via @TheAVClub on Twitter)

TV Review: Everyone is Janet on Thursday’s midseason finale of ‘The Good Place’

The last episode of The Good Place ended with the core four being transported into Janet’s (D’Arcy Carden) void for safety. They were all uncertain what would happen to them when they were supposed to be taken out of the void and about what would happen if they got there. 

That’s when they realized there was a problem: they were all Janets.

Eleanor (Kristen Bell), Chidi (William Jackson Harper), Tahani (Jameela Jamil) and Jason (Manny Jacinto) all looked like Janets, so to avoid confusion, Janet made them wear the outfits that they would normally have on. 

While the gang was trying to navigate their place in Janet’s void, Michael (Ted Danson) and Janet were trying to meet the head accountant for the good place to figure out if the bad place had hacked into the system. That’s when they found out no one had gotten into the good place for over 500 years. 

Though no one in the good place was suspicious about this fact, Michael knew something was off. Which sparked one of Janet’s best pep talks where she convinced Michael that it was time for him to realize that he is supposed to save them. 

Back in the void, Eleanor is trying to get Chidi to have an honest conversation about his feelings for her. Chidi keeps avoiding the conversation by hounding her with philosophy facts, sparking Eleanor to completely lose her sense of self. 

“What am I doing?” Eleanor said. “I’m chasing a dude who isn’t into me, I’m making myself vulnerable for no reason. I don’t even know who I am anymore.”

Eleanor’s loss of herself causes Janet’s void to start failing, so Chidi has to remind her who she is by saying all of the things he knows about her and a lot of nice things to her, ending with him kissing her. The duo turned back into themselves, not in Janet form, and finally talked about how they feel, and kissed some more. Cheleanor shippers are screaming everywhere.

The episode finished with the core four exiting Janet’s void, safely, into the accountant’s office, causing them to escape through the mail room into the good place.

“Holy forking shirt balls,” Eleanor said. “We’re in the good place.”

Though the season finale was so exciting in many different ways, there were two elements in particular that viewers should notice. First is the long overdue Cheleanor romance. Fans of the show have been waiting since day one to see Cheleanor come to fruition, and their kiss was just what fans wanted. 

Second was D’Arcy Carden’s performance in the episode. She not only had to play Janet, but she had to also portray a “neutral Janet,” Chidi, Eleanor, Jason and Tahani. Her performance made the episode amazing, and people are already demanding she win an Emmy Award. 

Here’s how audiences reacted on Twitter:

The Good Place returns to NBC on Jan. 10, 2019.

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu